Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

RPI 1 512 wifi setting.
hi everyone, I have an old Raspberry Pi 1 512 mb that I would like to use as a secondary player. 
 I used a 2w zero rpi but it's toast.  
RPI 1 doesn't have WiFi, but I have a TP link USB dongle.  I installed Moode with the ethernet cable connected and also with the dongle.  In the configuration I was able to set up my wifi network, but at restart I don't see the RPI 1 connected to the network (I checked from 192.168.1.1).
  What am I doing wrong?  Do I have to make other settings?
Unplug the Ethernet cable and boot up with just the WiFi dongle. If still not accessible then plug in the Ethernet cable (don't reboot) and try to login via SSH then run the command below to see if wlan0 interface has an IP address.

Code:
ifconfig
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-15-2022, 08:25 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Unplug the Ethernet cable and boot up with just the WiFi dongle. If still not accessible then plug in the Ethernet cable (don't reboot) and try to login via SSH then run the command below to see if wlan0 interface has an IP address.

Code:
ifconfig

Thanks Tim.  I try as soon as possible.  Maybe with a new installation.  Thank you
(06-15-2022, 08:46 PM)r1dipaolo Wrote:
(06-15-2022, 08:25 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Unplug the Ethernet cable and boot up with just the WiFi dongle. If still not accessible then plug in the Ethernet cable (don't reboot) and try to login via SSH then run the command below to see if wlan0 interface has an IP address.

Code:
ifconfig

Thanks Tim.  I try as soon as possible.  Maybe with a new installation.  Thank you
hello Tim,is still not accessible after reboot without Ethernet. After ifconfig wlan0 not has ip address

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

@br1dipaolo

In your original post you said "In the configuration I was able to set up my wifi network...."

Perhaps, but the ifconfig output shown in your last post is exactly what one would get if the network is misconfigured. I can get the same result with a RPi4B, for example, simply by mistyping the WiFi password for a given SSID.

Regards,
Kent
(06-16-2022, 07:36 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @br1dipaolo

In your original post you said "In the configuration I was able to set up my wifi network...."

Perhaps, but the ifconfig output shown in your last post is exactly what one would get if the network is misconfigured. I can get the same result with a RPi4B, for example, simply by mistyping the WiFi password for a given SSID.

Regards,
Kent

When I wrote "In the configuration I was able to set up my wifi network ...." I meant that in the network config if I scan I find my SSID and the password I enter is the correct one; writing on this forum is not the first thing I have done, I have tried with all my knowledge and I have not succeeded. Anyway thanks for the support.
Typically when a Router does not assign an IP address to a WiFi client :

1. The client attempted to associate with the Router but was rejected. This is usually because of a bad password.
2. The client successfully associated but the Router DHCP server and the client failed to negotiate an IP address. This can be due to the negotiation timing out for some reason.
3. The client never attempted to associate with the Router. This can be due to a bad SSID on the client.

Your best bet os to examine the Router WiFi and DHCP logs to see of there are messages relating to the client.
Enjoy the Music!
(06-16-2022, 09:09 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Typically when a Router does not assign an IP address to a WiFi client :

1. The client attempted to associate with the Router but was rejected. This is usually because of a bad password.
2. The client successfully associated but the Router DHCP server and the client failed to negotiate an IP address. This can be due to the negotiation timing out for some reason.
3. The client never attempted to associate with the Router. This can be due to a bad SSID on the client.

Your best bet os to examine the Router WiFi and DHCP logs to see of there are messages relating to the client.
Thanks Tim I will review the logs you indicated. one last detail: in the network config, under the Address assignment window of the Wireless section, I find written "unable to activate ap mode".
That can happen because the WiFi adapter may not support promiscuous mode or possibly the process for starting up AP mode times out. The moOde log would have some messages related to AP mode in the Network section of the log.
Enjoy the Music!