Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Wireless subwoofer integration via Multiroom-feature possible?
Would it be possible to connect an active subwoofer to a seperate RasPi that is integrated into the main system via moOde's Multiroom-feature? Or is this not feasable because of lag or other issues?
- moOde 7.0.1
- Allo USBridge Signature (Ethernet)
- Streaming Tidal to device via Bubble-UPnP (Android smartphone)
- miniDSP 2x4 HD (connected via USB of course)
- 24" monitor connected via the USBridge's HDMI output
I don't think anyone has tried. If your Sub has crossover, level, phase etc controls then it could be as simple as just hooking it up to the Headphone out jack and see if it blends with the mains.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-28-2022, 08:50 AM)Reddo84 Wrote: Would it be possible to connect an active subwoofer to a seperate RasPi that is integrated into the main system via moOde's Multiroom-feature? Or is this not feasable because of lag or other issues?

Many SUBs take your L/R outputs, keep their frequencies (about 20-200Hz) for themselves, and replicate those outputs for you to hook your L/R speakers to; so it's really transparent. Your idea is to plug it in wirelessly, so that implies it _is_ active, and should be as easy as making it the audio source, and let it deliver the L/R channels to the relevant speakers, that from now on should be connected to it...

I have a 2+1 setup, but mine are class AB active speakers (both the monitors and the sub) which take the LINE-IN signal and filter / amplify it by themselves.
I throw both channels from my DAC into the input channels of the sub, and then bring its outputs to my L/R monitors.

Just my 2c on it.
Cheers, A.
(06-28-2022, 11:25 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: ... it could be as simple as just hooking [the sub] up to the Headphone out jack ...

What I'm trying to achieve is the following: 

I want my stereo speakers set up with: 
- custum FIR-Filters
- high-pass filter (both of which I can do with the CamillaDSP integration)
- any DAC of my choice, connected via USB. I plan on upgrading to something around ~$2000, probably the Denafrips Pontus II.

To this, I want to add my subwoofer. If I attached it to the Headphone-out (my Allo USBridge Sig doesn't have anyway), this woldn't work because of the high-pass-filter. The solution Nutul suggests is not for me either, since I don't want to use a $2000 DAC and then route the signal for my speakers through the subwoofer's ADC/DAC after that.  

Now I'm trying to find the most elegant way to achieve this, with as few electronics in the signal path as possible.
- moOde 7.0.1
- Allo USBridge Signature (Ethernet)
- Streaming Tidal to device via Bubble-UPnP (Android smartphone)
- miniDSP 2x4 HD (connected via USB of course)
- 24" monitor connected via the USBridge's HDMI output
In your OP you asked whether a dedicated Pi for the Sub and the Multiroom feature could be used to distribute the audio. I think there would be a lot of issues.

One option would be a DAC that provides a dedicated, full range Subwoofer out but I don't know if any exist.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-02-2022, 09:20 AM)Reddo84 Wrote:
(06-28-2022, 11:25 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: ... it could be as simple as just hooking [the sub] up to the Headphone out jack ...

What I'm trying to achieve is the following: 

I want my stereo speakers set up with: 
- custum FIR-Filters
- high-pass filter (both of which I can do with the CamillaDSP integration)
- any DAC of my choice, connected via USB. I plan on upgrading to something around ~$2000, probably the Denafrips Pontus II.

To this, I want to add my subwoofer. If I attached it to the Headphone-out (my Allo USBridge Sig doesn't have anyway), this woldn't work because of the high-pass-filter. The solution Nutul suggests is not for me either, since I don't want to use a $2000 DAC and then route the signal for my speakers through the subwoofer's ADC/DAC after that.  

Now I'm trying to find the most elegant way to achieve this, with as few electronics in the signal path as possible.

My setup does not resample anything. The analog signal goes to then sub as-is, the sub takes what it needs (according to its low-pass filter) and then just lets the original, unfiltered signal go to the speakers, also as-is. Many subs work this way, so that for integrating them, all you need to do is tune THEIR on-board (well, on-speaker... I have set mine at about 80 Hz) low-pass filter, let the audio output of the DAC enter them _first_ so they can grab it, connect your L/R speakers to their respective L/R outputs of the sub (this is the original DAC out) and voilà...

Cheers, A.