Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Instruction Guide UPnP streaming question
Hello everybody,

I am not familiar with the subject, hence asking here some help; here's my situation:

- RPi3B running KODI attached to my TV (I use this mainly to watch movies from a local HDD, but it can also deal with Netflix, Youtube, TV shows, etc. etc.)

- RPi4 running moOde (no matter what version, ATM still on 8.0.2)

My idea is to watch a movie on KODI (on the Pi3), but route its audio to moOde (on the Pi4).
Kodi, in its "services" menu offers a "Enable UPnP Support", of which the description is: "Enables UPnP. This allows you to stream media in your libraries to a UPnP client and to detect remote UPnP servers."

What should I do in order to achieve my goal? What/where should I search for, and what should I see/select in KODI / moOde menus?
I think I should use KODI as server, and moOde as a client (renderer, is that the word...?), but cannot figure out how - yes, I am an old guy... :-D

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Al.
(07-03-2022, 10:44 AM)Nutul Wrote: Hello everybody,

I am not familiar with the subject, hence asking here some help; here's my situation:

- RPi3B running KODI attached to my TV (I use this mainly to watch movies from a local HDD, but it can also deal with Netflix, Youtube, TV shows, etc. etc.)

- RPi4 running moOde (no matter what version, ATM still on 8.0.2)

My idea is to watch a movie on KODI (on the Pi3), but route its audio to moOde (on the Pi4).
Kodi, in its "services" menu offers a "Enable UPnP Support", of which the description is: "Enables UPnP. This allows you to stream media in your libraries to a UPnP client and to detect remote UPnP servers."

What should I do in order to achieve my goal? What/where should I search for, and what should I see/select in KODI / moOde menus?
I think I should use KODI as server, and moOde as a client (renderer, is that the word...?), but cannot figure out how - yes, I am an old guy... :-D

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Al.

Hi, Al.

AFAIK, UPnP won't get you where you want to be (but I've been known to be wrong before Tongue). 

Gotta run to a picnic so can't conjecture about alternatives ATM.

Regards,
Kent
Hi,

I tried this for transporting audio from laptop to hifi-system while watching movies. Doesn't work due to massive delay.

I think this would be also a big barrier in your use case.

bye,
Martin
Latency will be a huge problem, but also the Kodi service suggests it can stream its "library" to a UPnP client, but what you want is the audio of the now playing media, which is a different thing and I don't thinks it's supported from my reading of the description. I don't have Kodi though, so I can't check.
----------------
Robert
(07-05-2022, 09:15 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: Latency will be a huge problem, but also the Kodi service suggests it can stream its "library" to a UPnP client, but what you want is the audio of the now playing media, which is a different thing and I don't thinks it's supported from my reading of the description.  I don't have Kodi though, so I can't check.

Hi,

yes, I know about library sharing, but indeed what I need is just the audio being routed elsewhere.
I asked this just because KODI offers UPnP, and so does moOde. In the KODI audio output, these are choices I can see (even with UPnP enabled on both KODI and moOde):

Analog
HDMI
HDMI + Analog
Alsa Bluetooth

I expected to see "moOde UPnP" as well, which I don't.
I expected to see "KODI UPnP" as well on moOde input selection menu; which I don't.

This was why I asked here in the first place: just because I do not see how to change the input-output chain.
About the latency thing, I am fully aware of such a problem, but would like to try it myself, just for sake of knowledge.

Thank you all for your insights, though.

I will try to couple KODI and moOde via Bluetooth (when I find some time and there's nobody home to disturb me...) to achieve the same result (movie playing on KODI, movie-video on KODI HDMI, movie-audio on moOde + DAC)

Cheers, A.
bluetooth would be better.

Code:
https://kodi.wiki/view/UPnP
here it looks like direct output of audio/video-stream is not possible via UPNP.
In my experience even BT (at least up to and including the built-in BT of RPI4) has way too much delay for this.
While playing videos on my device and transferring audio to Moode on RPI4, it may be tolerable for say a music video (esp if you don't see the singer too often Smile  ) but I would find it rather disturbing for watching a movie.
As bad as it my sound (and probably in some cases entirely impracticable), a physical cable is the way to go. I don't know about commercial wireless HDMI transmitters and such, if they can do this without a delay (and then if RPI/Moode could take that as an input - but at this point it would maybe make more sense feeding it straight into the amp?)
(07-13-2022, 09:38 AM)kdotzoltan Wrote: In my experience even BT (at least up to and including the built-in BT of RPI4) has way too much delay for this.
While playing videos on my device and transferring audio to Moode on RPI4, it may be tolerable for say a music video (esp if you don't see the singer too often Smile  ) but I would find it rather disturbing for watching a movie.
As bad as it my sound (and probably in some cases entirely impracticable), a physical cable is the way to go. I don't know about commercial wireless HDMI transmitters and such, if they can do this without a delay (and then if RPI/Moode could take that as an input - but at this point it would maybe make more sense feeding it straight into the amp?)

After some time tackling with both KODI and moOde (I do not have BT on my TV, and don't want to mess around with dongles) I found that the only viable way is to proceed with the following two easy steps:

1. unplug the DAC from the device running moOde (before doing so, change output to whatever else on moOde...)
2. plug the DAC to the device running KODI (this is plug-n-play on KODI...)

Sad but true... :-D

Thanks to anybody who took his time to look into this scenario.

Cheers, Al