Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Possibility of alternative hardware platforms for Moode
Hello everyone!

I've been using Moode for years on several RPIs, since version 2 or 3, and it was the most featureful and bugless Raspberry Pi music player already then. The amount of progress since then has been astronishing and I wouldn't even consider trying anything else.

However, as we all know, currently there are serious problems with the semiconductors supply chain, so it's almost impossible to buy a new Raspberry Pi SBC.

An idea that's popped into my mind is to ask how difficult it would be to port Moode to some other adequate SBC platform and in that way circumvent the current supply chain crisis. Or, in other words, how deep is the dependence on the specifics of Raspberry Pi/Raspbian OS? Would any sufficiently powerful SBC with USB ports or I2S interface for a DAC add-on, with modern Linux-like OS be capable of running Moode? Of course, it would probably introduce a new spectra of problems or incompatibilities (the advantage of having a single and tight hardware platform is clear to anyone using Apple products), but currently the most of us can only "recycle" old RPI boards when in need of a new player.

Of course, there's risk that the supply crisis would be resolved soon enough to render the effort useless, but it never hurts to prepare for the worst case scenario. Smile
Supply chain problems eventually get fixed and the Raspberry Pi platform is definitely here to stay. That translates to "no action needed" for our project :-)

Given the moOde project is FOSS and we have the super nice automated package and image builders from @bitlab maybe some developer(s) will fork our project and try to get moOde working on another SBC platform and then provide ongoing support and troubleshooting. It's a lot of work :-0
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-05-2022, 01:41 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Supply chain problems eventually get fixed and

.. all the other SBC manufacturers are suffering from them too.

Which is another consideration, port it to another device and no one can buy those either.
----------------
Robert
I see your points, and must say that I mostly agree. Thanks for the answers, anyway Smile