Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

24 bit and DSD over HDMI?
I have my pi 3b+ connected to a Denon avr via HDMI.
The avr manual states that the HDMI ports accept DSD but Moode is converting the DSD to PCM.
I have the format set to Native DSD.
Also 24 bit flac files are being output as 16 bit.
Is the likely problem the Pi HDMI, Moode, the avr or me not understanding how these things work?

Pi 3b+
Moode 8.1.2 64 bit.
Hi there,
One place to start is to run moodeutl -F (which is the same as running 'alsacap') from the command line.

That should show you what the hardware capabilities are (number of channels, sample rate, sample formats).
(07-25-2022, 04:59 AM)swinokur Wrote: Hi there,
One place to start is to run moodeutl -F (which is the same as running 'alsacap') from the command line.

That should show you what the hardware capabilities are (number of channels, sample rate, sample formats).

Thanks
Looks like it's 16 bit.
After doing some research it seems 24bit is possible. Some people have done it, it requires recompiling the kernel which is probably beyond me and I have no idea if Moode would still work after doing it.
There's lengthy kernel Thread discussing HDMI 16 / 24 bit. There doesn't appear to be a resolution yet...
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/4204
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub