Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Deprecate Shairport-Sync in latest Moode?
(10-10-2022, 08:38 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 06:24 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 06:00 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 05:02 PM)kiwipaul Wrote: Shairpoint-sync built for Airplay 2 is not compatible with Itunes on Windows and there are no plans to fix that issue.

https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/issues/1552

I can't find any information on Windows support for Airplay 2.

Can you provide a link?

Airplay support is baked into the iTunes app for Windows. I have it installed on a virtual Windows 10Pro host.

As a matter of academic interest only, 'cuz I have no use for it, when in this app, if I try to connect to a moOde 8.2.1 Airplay renderer I get an error popup "The AirPlay device "moOde Airplay" is not compatible with this version of iTunes." If I try to connect to a moOde 7.6.1 Airplay renderer, however, I get a completed-connection checkmark and a volume slider.

Regards,
Kent

Oops, I thought the build "--with-airplay-2" would fallback to Airplay 1 based on negotiating with the connecting client but thats in fact not the case :-0

In upcoming 8.2.2 release I'll make provisions in the Airplay config section to have the option to choose either Airplay 1 or Airplay 2 packages. The default will be Airplay 2.

Thank you. A bit sad airplay 2 isn't backwards compatible in shairport-sync
(10-11-2022, 08:22 AM)kiwipaul Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 08:38 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 06:24 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 06:00 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 05:02 PM)kiwipaul Wrote: Shairpoint-sync built for Airplay 2 is not compatible with Itunes on Windows and there are no plans to fix that issue.

https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/issues/1552

I can't find any information on Windows support for Airplay 2.

Can you provide a link?

Airplay support is baked into the iTunes app for Windows. I have it installed on a virtual Windows 10Pro host.

As a matter of academic interest only, 'cuz I have no use for it, when in this app, if I try to connect to a moOde 8.2.1 Airplay renderer I get an error popup "The AirPlay device "moOde Airplay" is not compatible with this version of iTunes." If I try to connect to a moOde 7.6.1 Airplay renderer, however, I get a completed-connection checkmark and a volume slider.

Regards,
Kent

Oops, I thought the build "--with-airplay-2" would fallback to Airplay 1 based on negotiating with the connecting client but thats in fact not the case :-0

In upcoming 8.2.2 release I'll make provisions in the Airplay config section to have the option to choose either Airplay 1 or Airplay 2 packages. The default will be Airplay 2.

Thank you. A bit sad airplay 2 isn't backwards compatible in shairport-sync

At some point the Shairport-sync crew might be able to create a unified version but let's not forget the incredible effort they undertook to successfully reverse engineer Airplay 2. It took the better part of a year.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
It's a miracle that this works at all. Apple has kept the Airplay protocol more secret than <snarky political comment deleted Tongue>.

I've looked at a number of results from the sleuthers who have painstakingly sniffed network packets while poking apps to see what happens, then inferring what all the "bits and bytes on the wire" mean. It's awesome.

I don't think we know why my Apple iTunes/Windows app (v12.12.5.8) won't connect to shairport-sync built for Airplay 2. It may be because the pair first try Airplay 2 and won't negotiate down to Airplay 1 but it may be because of something else that the iTunes app doesn't like about shairport-sync's responses. As an aside, the app will connect to my Sonos Beam soundbar (claimed to be Airplay 2) but I don't know how to determine what protocol version is actually being used in the connection.

OTOH, my Apple iPad (iPadOS 15.7) and iPhone SE (iOS 15.7) both happily connect to shairport-sync, whether the version in moOde 8.2.0 (v4.1-dev-600-g97fa75e8 built for Airplay 2) or the older version in moOde 7.6.1 (Airplay 1 only). 

Regards,
Kent
(10-11-2022, 03:08 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: It's a miracle that this works at all. Apple has kept the Airplay protocol more secret than <snarky political comment deleted Tongue>.
(...)
OTOH, my Apple iPad (iPadOS 15.7) and iPhone SE (iOS 15.7) both happily connect to shairport-sync, whether the version in moOde 8.2.0 (v4.1-dev-600-g97fa75e8 built for Airplay 2) or the older version in moOde 7.6.1 (Airplay 1 only). 
<sarcasm>
I just love when somebody thinks out a new transport layer incapsulated in an already tested and reliable transport layer. It's amazing how the human mind doesn't stop thinking and inventing. The hot water. Again and again.
</sarcasm>

Cheers, Al.