Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Has the COMMENT data disappeared from the album/tag view?
Hello all,

I believe the file "comment" is no longer shown (no matter what the "Include comment tag" option in preferences says)

before:

'The Thieving Magpie' (La Gazza Ladra)
Marillion (1988) (Live)

now:

'The Thieving Magpie' (La Gazza Ladra)
Marillion (1988)

I also tried to look into the code, and indeed cannot find any reference to such field in the album data, but I may be not looking everywhere...

Cheers, Al.
Works ok on my end. I had to scroll down a bit cos its at the very end. Audio info queries MPD using lsinfo and so it displays all the tags irrespective of the Prefs option for Comment tag.

The code for managing the comment tag Prefs option is in the following file/function.

Code:
/var/inc/music-libaray.php

function genLibrary()

Its not at all obvious but the option only controls whether to include the tag in the Library json cache so it can be used as the help text below describes:

Code:
This tag is used to display some identifying text to differentiate albums that have the same name but different MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID values.
NOTE: Including this tag may impact the performance of the Library.

One of the devs that helped enhance the Library added this to solve a specific issue in his collection and other collections that use the MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID tag.

There are also other ways to use the Comment tag in a collection if for example it contains some information thats useful in a search.

The reason including it in the Library cache is optional though is that some collections have Comment tags populated with huge amounts of text :-0 and this can impact performance when generating and sending the libcache json file from server to the Browser.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-10-2022, 09:35 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Works ok on my end. I had to scroll down a bit cos its at the very end. Audio info queries MPD using lsinfo and so it displays all the tags irrespective of the Prefs option for Comment tag.

The code for managing the comment tag Prefs option is in the following file/function.

Code:
/var/inc/music-libaray.php

function genLibrary()

Its not at all obvious but the option only controls whether to include the tag in the Library json cache so it can be used as the help text below describes:

Code:
This tag is used to display some identifying text to differentiate albums that have the same name but different MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID values.
NOTE: Including this tag may impact the performance of the Library.

One of the devs that helped enhance the Library added this to solve a specific issue in his collection and other collections that use the MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID tag.

There are also other ways to use the Comment tag in a collection if for example it contains some information thats useful in a search.

The reason including it in the Library cache is optional though is that some collections have Comment tags populated with huge amounts of text :-0 and this can impact performance when generating and sending the libcache json file from server to the Browser.

Hi Tim,

actually, I may be wrong about the tag-view, BUT:

still, there are some additional tags you may want to display under the album-art in the now-playing context, which you can edit in the preferences.
I remember I added "comment" there, as I use such field for storing the album type: EP / Single / Live / Compilation / Bootleg etc. etc. though nothing is shown now. Actually, the MPD.json[] used to retrieve such information (in playerlib-nomin.js, function formatExtraTagsString) appears to not contain any "comment" field... am I missing something? Do I need some rest? ;-)

Cheers, Al.
AFAIK the comment tag was never part of the extra metadata tags under the main cover art.

Here's the help for the option.

Code:
Display under the cover art any combination of the tags listed below. If no tags are to be displayed enter None or leave the field blank.
Tags: album, genre, track, disc, date, composer, conductor, performer, encoded

ETA: The tags used by the extra metadata option are part of the MPD.json file which is generated in the function enhanceMetadata() in file inc/mpd.php
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-10-2022, 10:35 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: AFAIK the comment tag was never part of the extra metadata tags under the main cover art.

Here's the help for the option.

Code:
Display under the cover art any combination of the tags listed below. If no tags are to be displayed enter None or leave the field blank.
Tags: album, genre, track, disc, date, composer, conductor, performer, encoded

ETA: The tags used by the extra metadata option are part of the MPD.json file which is generated in the function enhanceMetadata() in file inc/mpd.php

OMG...

now that I see that function, I do remember having added $current['comment'] = $song['Comment']...
Added that again, now everything is as was (I just need to have the comment shown after the ARTIST (YEAR) information, in the TAG-view albums list (as yes... I also did that...)

Thanks for pointing me- to the right place ;-)

Cheers, Al.