Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Which version is better sound quality ?
Hello, it seems to me that the sound quality of 8.2.1 is low

Which version are you using? and which version do you find the sound quality better?
(10-16-2022, 01:07 PM)Hydra Wrote: Hello, it seems to me that the sound quality of 8.2.1 is low

Which version are you using? and which version do you find the sound quality better?

I think 8.2.0 is really good.  I haven't updated to 8.2.1 as a result...
(10-16-2022, 01:07 PM)Hydra Wrote: Hello, it seems to me that the sound quality of 8.2.1 is low

Hi, What version of Moodle are you comparing with? I have passed successively from 7.6.1 through all the following ones up to the current 8.2.2 in both 32b and 64b and I cannot notice any difference in the quality of each version. I use Raspberry pi4 with 8gb ram and Dac Toping D50s.

Greetings Mario
I have  used MoOde since 2015, and have stayed with the latest version all along. With the exception of a period 3-4 years ago, new versions have always had the same or better sound quality than the previous. All the problems I have heard related to using beta kernals of the PiOS which, when installed with a MoOde version that would play with them, caused MoOde to lock when doing much more that simply playing music already in your database. Lockup when scanning for newly added music was the most frequent issue.

Having said that, I strongly believe that you should not judge the sound quality of a MoOde version until it is 'tuned' to your environment, mostly the dac. Finding the best upsampling scheme using SoX (or not upsampling in MoOde) is important, and varies from dac to dac. I have also found that there can be clear differences between sending 24 bitdepth or 32 bitdepth to your dac. The music content on those two choices is identical, of course, but 32 bits is better is some cases. I have encountered this repeatedly and was disinclined to believe it, but I expect the firmware in some of the dacs is deficient. I have several dacs where it matters and one where it doesn't. 

The wrapup on my perspective is that just judging SQ on the basis of what you hear when you first get a new version to play music is shortchanging the software quality of a new version (with some or many changes in the underlying non-MoOde softwarae).
I must have upgraded the Moode software about 2-3 times by now, and I haven't noticed any difference at all in terms of sound quality. It sounds and works as great as always, and the audio is being fed into a Topping d50s DAC.

I use directhw, no down/up sampling... settings are pretty much default really.
I recently upgraded from Moode 6.6.0, which used the optional MPD 0.22~git test setting, to 8.2.2 Legacy on an RPi 2.  I have been working on my DAC HAT, and didn't want to make other system changes.  I immediately felt there is an improvement in sound quality with Moode 8.2.2.  Previously, I thought sound quality with MPD 0.22~git test was improved compared to the default MPD version, within the same Moode release.  Perhaps adjusting memory/buffer settings in MPD might help your situation.

Raspberry Pi 2 | Moode 8.2.2 Legacy | Allo Kali | DIY TDA1387 x 8 passive I/V NOS DAC HAT | PGA2310 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5