Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Create Music Source - information request
I built a new copy of 8.2.2 on a new SDcard. Attached my regular disk, which is a 2Tb hard disk mounted in a dock, connecting to the Rpi4/4Gb via USB. I created a NAS disk, entered the disk access details, completed other details, updated the library, etc. Using Tag view everything was duplicated. On checking the disks information I found a NAS and a USB.
Reasoning that the NAS disk was partly to blame I deleted the NAS dsk (I thought), disconnected the USB drive, rebuilt  a null library, re-attached the USB disk, made no moves to create a new music source, rebuilt the library. In Tag view this time there were no duplicates - seemed good!
At a later point I rebooted the Pi. Accessing Folder view later I saw a USB disk and a NAS. Looking in Create Music I saw a disk with a name - the same as the one I had previously deleted.
However, there is still no file duplication in Tag view.
My questions:
What is the correct approach to creating a music source?
Does a USB disk get attached/created automatically ?(it seems so)
Is there any reason to create a NAS if a USB disk is attached?
What is the proper way to remove a disk?
Thanks for any help.
(11-09-2022, 08:44 PM)5-pot-fan Wrote: I built a new copy of 8.2.2 on a new SDcard. Attached my regular disk, which is a 2Tb hard disk mounted in a dock, connecting to the Rpi4/4Gb via USB. I created a NAS disk, entered the disk access details, completed other details, updated the library, etc. Using Tag view everything was duplicated. On checking the disks information I found a NAS and a USB.
Reasoning that the NAS disk was partly to blame I deleted the NAS dsk (I thought), disconnected the USB drive, rebuilt  a null library, re-attached the USB disk, made no moves to create a new music source, rebuilt the library. In Tag view this time there were no duplicates - seemed good!
At a later point I rebooted the Pi. Accessing Folder view later I saw a USB disk and a NAS. Looking in Create Music I saw a disk with a name - the same as the one I had previously deleted.
However, there is still no file duplication in Tag view.
My questions:
What is the correct approach to creating a music source?
Does a USB disk get attached/created automatically ?(it seems so)
Is there any reason to create a NAS if a USB disk is attached?
What is the proper way to remove a disk?
Thanks for any help.

The correct way (for a USB device, anyway) is to attach it to the Pi, then do a library rebuild, or update.
A NAS, OTOH, is a Network-Attached-Device, which you access via your LAN, so in your case the NAS was not only unnecessary, but indeed was the source of duplication...

To remove a disc... well, when I need to move few GB on my 1TB SSD (which via LAN would take several minutes...), I simply disconnect it from moOde (well, I first, eventually, stop playback...), copy the files, reattach it, and do a library update; although the drive is mounted r/w, moOde (AFAIK) does not write anything to it, so it is safe to hot-plug/unplug, provided at least it is not being read, that is, mpd is not playing files from it.

Cheers, Al.
The Setup guide has the info. The link is on the Download page at moodeaudio.org and also on the About screen in moOde itself (Menu, Configure, System | Menu About)

Setup guide
https://github.com/moode-player/moode/bl.../setup.txt
Code:
4. ADD SOURCE(S) CONTAINING MUSIC FILES

- USB STORAGE DEVICES

a) Insert USB storage device
  b) Menu, Update library
  c) Wait for completion (no spinner)

- BOOT SDCARD STORAGE

a) Menu, Update library
  b) Wait for completion (no spinner)

- NAS DEVICE

a) Menu, Configure, Library
  b) CREATE Music source
  c) After SAVE, return to Playback or Library
  d) Menu, Update library
  e) Wait for completion (no spinner)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thank you @Nutul and @Tim Curtis . Your replies confirmed my current understanding.
One question remains - why has a NAS device reappeared in the Create Music Source window and in the Folder View after I removed it? I assumed that it was removed because the duplications went away, so was some bit of config info left lying around, or does successful removal require additional steps?
Thanks
(11-10-2022, 09:34 AM)5-pot-fan Wrote: Thank you @Nutul and @Tim Curtis . Your replies confirmed my current understanding.
One question remains - why has a NAS device reappeared in the Create Music Source window and in the Folder View after I removed it? I assumed that it was removed because the duplications went away, so was some bit of config info left lying around, or does successful removal require additional steps?
Thanks

That's a good question. Maybe because a reboot was needed (I don't know yet how NAS info is stored).
Question may be: still, after reboots, do you see the deleted NAS? If not, all is OK (almost...), if, OTOH it's still there... we might need some more logs from you to determine why, and therefore, fix it.

Cheers, Al.
After you create or remove a Music Source go back to Playback or Library view and then Menu, Update library
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-10-2022, 05:28 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: After you create or remove a Music Source go back to Playback or Library view and then Menu, Update library

Thank you. I think I did these things, but I may repeat the whole process and record the steps. If I do I will report back here.
I followed the above advice and this has done the trick. Not sure what I did or did not do before!
For anyone with a similar issue here is what I did FWIW:

Removed music source (NAS) in Music Source view
Updated library
Result:
     No duplicates
     No NAS in Folder view
     No NAS in Music source
Rebooted
Result:
     No NAS in Folder view
     No NAS in Music source

Just to check:-
Turned off the USB drive
Library updated itself to null (Koz file only)
Restarted USB
Library auto updated
Rebooted
Liibrary re-loaded itself
Result:
     No NAS in Folder view or Music source
Another check:
Regen'd library
Result:
no NAS in Music source, or Folder View, and no duplicates

So, thank you to @Tim Curtis  and @Nutul