Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Restarting after shutdown
Hello. I Hope someone can help me with something I suspect I’m just not understanding properly. 

All runs perfectly (on Wi-Fi) until I shut down via interface on phone. Coming back to it the next day I cannot restart - ie I cannot ‘reach’ the pi via moode.local etc. I also cannot see a local hotspot produced by the pi/ moode. The red light shows on the pi but there is no green light activity at all. Unplugging power and reconnecting doesn’t change anything. HOWEVER, if I unplug it and take it to the router reconnect to power AND Ethernet it restarts perfectly. Confusingly I can then disconnect and return to audio system and it works perfectly again via Wi-Fi. 

I could of course just leave it permanently on. But in turn that leaves a lot of LEDs on in connected devices! But it does work with no problems if I do. 

Set up is an RPi4 running latest moode. Output is via a topping d10 DAC. I have a hard drive attached directly to the pi holding a music library. And a CD drive via a powered USB hub. 

Any suggestions gratefully received. 

F
@felix

If you use the 'shutdown' command from the MoOde interface on your computer, tablet or phone the Pi will... shutdown. You will need to run manually the power cycle on the RPi in order to get remote access to the Rpi via the computer, tablet or phone.
(11-12-2022, 10:42 AM)felix Wrote: Hello. I Hope someone can help me with something I suspect I’m just not understanding properly. 

All runs perfectly (on Wi-Fi) until I shut down via interface on phone. Coming back to it the next day I cannot restart - ie I cannot ‘reach’ the pi via moode.local etc. I also cannot see a local hotspot produced by the pi/ moode. The red light shows on the pi but there is no green light activity at all. Unplugging power and reconnecting doesn’t change anything. HOWEVER, if I unplug it and take it to the router reconnect to power AND Ethernet it restarts perfectly. Confusingly I can then disconnect and return to audio system and it works perfectly again via Wi-Fi. 

I could of course just leave it permanently on. But in turn that leaves a lot of LEDs on in connected devices! But it does work with no problems if I do. 

Set up is an RPi4 running latest moode. Output is via a topping d10 DAC. I have a hard drive attached directly to the pi holding a music library. And a CD drive via a powered USB hub. 

F

As @CallMeMike mentioned Shutdown turns the Pi off and it has to be power cycled back on.

When it powers back up it can take several minutes before AP mode (local hotspot) starts and the name becomes visible in the list of WiFi networks on your phone.

There is a System Config setting named "IP add timeout". Try setting it to 10 secs. AP mode will come up faster.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-12-2022, 11:11 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: @felix

If you use the 'shutdown' command from the MoOde interface on your computer, tablet or phone the Pi will... shutdown. You will need to run manually the power cycle on the RPi in order to get remote access to the Rpi via the computer, tablet or phone.

Thank you. 
I thought I would achieve that by disconnecting power and reconnecting. But that doesn’t seem to do the trick. Is there another procedure I’m missing?
Apologies - it is probably really obvious.
(11-12-2022, 11:55 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(11-12-2022, 10:42 AM)felix Wrote: Hello. I Hope someone can help me with something I suspect I’m just not understanding properly. 

F

As @CallMeMike mentioned Shutdown turns the Pi off and it has to be power cycled back on.

When it powers back up it can take several minutes before AP mode (local hotspot) starts and the name becomes visible in the list of WiFi networks on your phone.

There is a System Config setting named "IP add timeout". Try setting it to 10 secs. AP mode will come up faster.
Thank you. I will do that.
(11-12-2022, 12:00 PM)felix Wrote:
(11-12-2022, 11:11 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: @felix

Thank you. 
I thought I would achieve that by disconnecting power and reconnecting. But that doesn’t seem to do the trick. Is there another procedure I’m missing?
Apologies - it is probably really obvious.

Actually, that IS enough. It will power on.
Then, it might face some issues with network connections (weak signal, long timeout before AP comes alive, etc.), but it definitely WILL power on this way.

Cheers, Al.
I think my impatience might be the problem, in the context of a weak (although viable) signal.
How unlike me ;-)
Shifting to 10s as Tim suggested seems to do the trick.
Think I may need to rework my Wi-Fi mesh.