Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Various Artist album covers
I have some VA albums which have the cover embedded in each song of the original album the song came from.
I would like to be able to have the library show the cover of the actual VA album but have the cover of the Album the song came from originally show when playing the song.
Is there any way to do this?
If I set preferences to embedded then the cover embedded into the last song on the album is displayed in Library view but the playing screen shows the correct album cover.
If I set preferences to coverfile the VA album cover shows in Library view and on the playing screen.
(11-16-2022, 10:26 PM)Mattt Wrote: I have some VA albums which have the cover embedded in each song of the original album the song came from.
I would like to be able to have the library show the cover of the actual VA album but have the cover of the Album the song came from originally show when playing the song.
If I set preferences to embedded then the cover embedded into the last song on the album is displayed in Library view but the playing screen shows the correct album cover.
If I set preferences to coverfile the VA album cover shows in Library view and on the playing screen.

I don't think that's possible, the way moOde decides where the album-art for a track should come from (or better: the way it generates the thumbnails and/or the now-playing image) dictates what you'll see.
The only way I can think of to achieve this, is a very dirty trick:
you need a ghost track (a one-second mute audio file), indexed to be the last one, having the VA album-art embedded; and chose "embedded" in the prefs. Of course this has the side effect of seeing such a track in the library, too.

Cheers, Al.
(11-16-2022, 11:07 PM)Nutul Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 10:26 PM)Mattt Wrote: I have some VA albums which have the cover embedded in each song of the original album the song came from.

I don't think that's possible, the way moOde decides where the album-art for a track should come from (or better: the way it generates the thumbnails and/or the now-playing image) dictates what you'll see.
you need a ghost track (a one-second mute audio file), indexed to be the last one, having the VA album-art embedded; and chose "embedded" in the prefs. Of course this has the side effect of seeing such a track in the library, too.

Cheers, Al.

It's a tricky case to handle. I have one such album, Nine Inch Nails - The Slip. It's not a VA album but each track has a unique cover and the first track has the main cover. I've wanted to do this case for years.

@Nutul thats a interesting idea and it would prolly work with the existing code but you are right that its really hack-ish.

@Mattt is the main cover in track 1 or is it a cover image file?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@Nutul That's a good idea, I might give that a try.

@Tim Curtis the main cover is a separate image file in the folder.
(11-16-2022, 11:24 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 11:07 PM)Nutul Wrote:

Cheers, Al.

It's a tricky case to handle. I have one such album, Nine Inch Nails - The Slip. It's not a VA album but each track has a unique cover and the first track has the main cover. I've wanted to do this case for years.

@Nutul thats a interesting idea and it would prolly work with the existing code but you are right that its really hack-ish.

@Mattt is the main cover in track 1 or is it a cover image file?

@Tim Curtis
Just a quick thought:
IF album art preference is "embedded" AND the track has embedded cover-art AND there is ALSO a picture in the folder, we could think of something in the line of use such pic for the album cover in the TAG / ALBUM views, while use the embedded art of each track for albumart.php request...

Cheers, Al
Code:
@Tim Curtis
Just a quick thought:
IF album art preference is "embedded" AND the track has embedded cover-art AND there is ALSO a picture in the folder, we could think of something in the line of use such pic for the album cover in the TAG / ALBUM views, while use the embedded art of each track for albumart.php request...

That kind of an approach could work but it would take some analysis. It would prolly need to be an additional option for the Pref "Cover search priority" for example "Cover file+". Something like that. 

The main challenge with it though is that's an edge case con the type of albums mentioned in the OP are uncommon. That means that it's not high at least on my TODO list given the backlog of priority 1 items.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-17-2022, 12:09 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
Code:
@Tim Curtis
Just a quick thought:
IF album art preference is "embedded" AND the track has embedded cover-art AND there is ALSO a picture in the folder, we could think of something in the line of use such pic for the album cover in the TAG / ALBUM views, while use the embedded art of each track for albumart.php request...

That kind of an approach could work but it would take some analysis. It would prolly need to be an additional option for the Pref "Cover search priority" for example "Cover file+". Something like that. 

The main challenge with it though is that's an edge case con the type of albums mentioned in the OP are uncommon. That means that it's not high at least on my TODO list given the backlog of priority 1 items.

Agree,
that's why it was just a quick thought...
anyway, I, too, own NIИ - The Slip, and it would be nice one day for it to work ;-)

Cheers, Al.