Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: No bluetooth audio output from AirPlay renderer
Hi,

I have successfully installed Moode on a Pi Zero, I have paired a bluetooth speaker and from the UI I can browse to a radio station and hear audio from the bluetooth speaker.

My main reason for using Moode was to run an AirPlay to bluetooth bridge.  I have a high end bluetooth speaker in another room, out of bluetooth range but within my Wi-Fi footprint.

When I select Moode as the Airplay target, the following occurs:
  • Moode UI displays Airplay as the source, the volume controls in the UI grey out
  • My iTunes shows the Moode as the target correctly
  • No audio is heard from the speaker.
I have checked volume controls on both the iTunes UI and on the speaker.  I can the stop AirPlay, select a different source from the Moode UI, then we have audio again.  

Any ideas?

Thanks
Hi,

This is because Bluetooth output is currently only supported by MPD. The Airplay receiver can only output to ALSA locally. I posted an issue on shairport-sync git a while back and asked about shairport-sync outputting to a virtual alsa device i.e. the bitstream device that I use for MPD but I ended up closing the issue after it did not seem like it was going to be a such useful feature. I was going to use it to have ALSA do integer resampling 192K and not for Bluetooth bridging.

You might want to post an issue and ask MikeB to see if its possible to have shairport sync output to an alsa virtual device.
https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/issues

I'm curious, how are able to operate the UI when MPD output is set to Bluetooth? There is a bug in 4.1 that disables the UI when sending audio out the Bluetooth connection :-0

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hmm OK - thanks.

I was going to roll my own using bluealsa, I still might try that,

The UI works fine, I haven't found anything that doesn't work. Using latest Safari web browser.
Hi,

Was looking on Mike's Git and ran across this. Apparently alsa virtual devices may work. Go to very bottom of post and compare the file posted with the one used by moOde in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/btstream.conf. There are essentially the same so in theory it could work.
https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-s...-379525472

You would need to turn off Airplay in Audio config and run it manually from SSH to test. Lemme know if you want to try.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
That thread looks promising - I might give it a go tomorrow.

As far as issues with UI go - this is a screenshot of my Moode with bluetooth configured - it works fine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-12-2018, 10:41 AM)darylsargent Wrote: That thread looks promising - I might give it a go tomorrow.

As far as issues with UI go - this is a screenshot of my Moode with bluetooth configured - it works fine.

Hey guys did anyone ever get this to work?  I also have a need to run one of my moode players as an airplay to bluetooth bridge.

Thanks
What do you mean by Airplay to Bluetooth bridge?
Enjoy the Music!
(07-04-2019, 11:17 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: What do you mean by Airplay to Bluetooth bridge?

I have a powered speaker that accepts bluetooth and an aux jack as its sources, I would like to use shaiport-sync and one of my pi-zero w's and add this speaker as an airplay zone.  I can put a dac on the pi and plug it in if I have to but using bluetooth would be cooler.

Thanks

PS do you know if the adafruit I2S audio bonnet (UDA1334A I2S Stereo DAC) is supported?
(07-05-2019, 06:06 PM)flyingblindonarocketcycle Wrote:
(07-04-2019, 11:17 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: What do you mean by Airplay to Bluetooth bridge?

I have a powered speaker that accepts bluetooth and an aux jack as its sources, I would like to use shaiport-sync and one of my pi-zero w's and add this speaker as an airplay zone.  I can put a dac on the pi and plug it in if I have to but using bluetooth would be cooler.

I want to add pseudo Airplay capabilities to my Echo Dot (which is hooked up to larger speakers). The idea would be Moode acts as the airplay receiver, passes the audio to the Dot over bluetooth, and now I have the best of both worlds. I can request music directly on the Dot, or Airplay to it using my Pi Zero as the relay. Any chance this is possible in Moode 5/6?
=> The idea would be Moode acts as the airplay receiver, passes the audio to the Dot over bluetooth

As long as this is the only job for the Pi Zero (means no other DAC's or USB audio devices at the PI) that is no problem.

Sorry missunderstood

Regards
Norbert