Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: MultiRoom / Choppy after 8.2.5 Update
Hey All,

Power multi-room user here.

Multi-room audio is choppy af, and often goes to static after the 8.2.5 update.  This occurs both with native radio streaming, and then with say spotify, etc etc.

I have rebooted both the sender (ethernet) and receivers (wifi).

Before anyone asks, no I have not updated my wifi network or changed anything else.  Literally just did the in place 64bit upgrade.

Sender is RPI4
Receivers are RPI4 w/HifiBerry Amp 100's. These are literally used in my house 15+ hours a day with zero issues.

Please let me know what I can provide data wise.
The default buffer settings were bumped to reduce glitches but possibly on some networks it has the opposite effect.

SHOW the advanced options for both Sender and Receiver and go back to the previous defaults

Sender
ALSA buffer = 64

Receiver
ALSA buffer = 64
RTP jitter buffer = 32
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-25-2023, 01:14 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The default buffer settings were bumped to reduce glitches but possibly on some networks it has the opposite effect.

SHOW the advanced options for both Sender and Receiver and go back to the previous defaults

Sender
ALSA buffer = 64

Receiver
ALSA buffer = 64
RTP jitter buffer = 32

I always have those buffers maxed btw.   Did not have this issue on 8.2.4 and previous versions.

Sender 
ALSA: 256

Receiver 
RTP: 96

Also -- I've futzed around with different levels of those buffers with the sender and one receiver with the same results.  Super super jittery.  Only focused on the streaming radio --built in stations.
(01-25-2023, 01:29 AM)dmueller Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 01:14 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The default buffer settings were bumped to reduce glitches but possibly on some networks it has the opposite effect.

Sender
ALSA buffer = 64

Receiver
ALSA buffer = 64
RTP jitter buffer = 32

I always have those buffers maxed btw.   Did not have this issue on 8.2.4 and previous versions.

Sender 

Receiver 

Also -- I've futzed around with different levels of those buffers with the sender and one receiver with the same results.  Super super jittery.  Only focused on the streaming radio --built in stations.

Very odd. No issues on my end. I have a sender (Ethernet) and two receivers (WiFi) all with fresh r825 images.

The TRX send/receive code is same as in previous releases. It was only the default buffer settings that were bumped but of course these can easily be changed via the WebUI.

Do you experience the issue with just a single receiver enabled? If yes then it will be easier to try and repro with two updated 8.2.4 - 8.2.5 systems on my side.

ETA: Also did you apply this patch for the NGINX conf?
https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread....7#pid44817
Enjoy the Music!
(01-25-2023, 02:38 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

Sender
ALSA buffer = 64

Receiver
ALSA buffer = 64
RTP jitter buffer = 32

Sender 

Receiver 

Very odd. No issues on my end. I have a sender (Ethernet) and two receivers (WiFi) all with fresh r825 images.

The TRX send/receive code is same as in previous releases. It was only the default buffer settings that were bumped but of course these can easily be changed via the WebUI.

Do you experience the issue with just a single receiver enabled? If yes then it will be easier to try and repro with two updated 8.2.4 - 8.2.5 systems on my side.

I actually disabled everything except one receiver.  I also made sure I used a receiver that was linked up to a wifi device (unifi) that's hardwired (versus mesh) to the same switch as the sender.  They're also on the same vlan if that helps.
(01-25-2023, 02:44 AM)dmueller Wrote:

Sender
ALSA buffer = 64

Receiver
ALSA buffer = 64
RTP jitter buffer = 32

Sender 

Receiver 

I actually disabled everything except one receiver.  I also made sure I used a receiver that was linked up to a wifi device (unifi) that's hardwired (versus mesh) to the same switch as the sender.  They're also on the same vlan if that helps.
Tim -- Any update on your end?  Here, I continue to experience choppy audio, and in fact one receive cuts out to static a few times a day.
Love to know how I can help with next steps.
Have you tried this bit:

(01-25-2023, 02:38 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: ETA: Also did you apply this patch for the NGINX conf?
https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread....7#pid44817
----------------
Robert
(01-27-2023, 12:26 AM)dmueller Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 02:44 AM)dmueller Wrote:

Sender
ALSA buffer = 64

Receiver
ALSA buffer = 64
RTP jitter buffer = 32

Sender 

Receiver 

Tim -- Any update on your end?  Here, I continue to experience choppy audio, and in fact one receive cuts out to static a few times a day.
Love to know how I can help with next steps.

I'll run some tests today with two 824 -> 825 images and see if I can repro.
Enjoy the Music!
I ran some tests with 824 -> 825 updated systems and I'm not able to repro your issue where audio is distorted. In my 30 minute tests audio was glitch free.

Sender: Pi-3B+, Ethernet
Receiver: Allo SIG, WiFi-5G, Revolution USB DAC
Settings: Multiroom settings at their 825 defaults
Enjoy the Music!
@dmueller

I have never had a need for moOde's multiroom feature so this is my first venture with it.

I've now been listening for an hour without any issues to a Pi4B---with HiFiBerry DAC+ I2S HAT---running moOde 8.2.5 and serving as receiver against a Pi3B+ running moOde 8.2.5 and serving as transmitter. Because of the particular boxes I chose to test with, the transmitter is connected to my LAN via WiFi and the receiver via Ethernet. I'll keep listening, but so far, like Tim, I haven't been able to repro your experience.

I know you have what seem to be good reasons for discounting your wireless networking environment as a possible source of your problem but have you put this to the test by connecting your receiver to your LAN via Ethernet? Remember Ronald Reagan's favorite aphorism "Trust but verify".

Regards,
Kent

Update: My multi-room test is still going strong after 24 hours.