Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Home assistant
Hello all,

So, I have this Raspberry 4 (2Gb) running Moode Audio, and controlling a Topping D10s USB DAC.
The chain ends with my vintage HiFi.
I want to build an Home Assistant Server (see HERE if you don't what I'm talking about).
Since I already have a running Raspberry in the house (the one running Moode Audio, of course), do you think I can install Home Assistant Core on it side by side with Moode Audio?
Do you see any problem in doing this?
I'd like to avoid to have to buy a new Raspberry, also considering the crazy prices they reached in these days.
The first thing I can think of is Python: Home Assistant needs at least Python 3.9 (or higher), I can't remember if Moode Audio uses Python, and which version.
Si there anybody that has already did this?
Any help and suggestion would be very appreciate.
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Giovanni
(02-08-2023, 04:05 PM)croccodillo Wrote: Hello all,

So, I have this Raspberry 4 (2Gb) running Moode Audio, and controlling a Topping D10s USB DAC.
The chain ends with my vintage HiFi.
I want to build an Home Assistant Server (see HERE if you don't what I'm talking about).
Since I already have a running Raspberry in the house (the one running Moode Audio, of course), do you think I can install Home Assistant Core on it side by side with Moode Audio?
Do you see any problem in doing this?
I'd like to avoid to have to buy a new Raspberry, also considering the crazy prices they reached in these days.
The first thing I can think of is Python: Home Assistant needs at least Python 3.9 (or higher), I can't remember if Moode Audio uses Python, and which version.
Si there anybody that has already did this?
Any help and suggestion would be very appreciate.
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Giovanni

In general, I don't like turning a bespoke audio player into a general purpose platform. Better to run moOde and HA on different boards so I can do what I want when I want with them.

True, moOde requires a Raspberry Pi (or Pi-like board which will run Raspberry Pi OS ) but Home Assistant does not.

ATM I'm running HA on its own Pi but that's only because I already had a bucket of Pis on hand for testing and experimentation. I could just as easily have installed it on some other Linux, Windows, or macOS machine...even a virtual machine on a server. If it's an SBC you want, consider Odroid or such (yeah, I have a few of those too; SBCs are like potato chips, I can't seem to stop at just one.)

Regards,
Kent
IIRC there are some prior threads that discuss HA integration.

Might be worth a search.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub