Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: X86 X64 PC Version
(02-23-2023, 08:50 AM)carmol Wrote:
(02-23-2023, 12:23 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:
Quote:I appreciated moode audio running
on my RP 3B+, but it isn't enough
powerful for my configuration,
Perhaps you could expand on this ?
Is there something specific that taxes a RPi 3B+ ?

Just interested as I have several MoOde installs and find even the RPi 2 runs smoothly and with little cpu overhead.
I have USB disk and USB dac,
RPi < 4 have USB 2.0 shared on same bus,
the latter shared with ethernet and wifi too.
On some big hires files there are glitches and dropouts.
I tried tuning, I also asked here
but no success.
I found that 32 bit seems work better for this issue, hovewer.

You could transcode the hi-res files to standard 16/44 red-book.  They'll sound exactly the same* but take up less space, use less cpu/power (so running cooler) and avoid any glitches caused by the higher requirements of hi-res. 

* https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
(02-24-2023, 11:25 AM)Nutul Wrote:
(02-24-2023, 09:53 AM)carmol Wrote:
(02-23-2023, 10:30 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: So the Pi is processing input from the USB disc then output to the DAC both over the shared USB 2.0 bus.
What results do htop and iotop show for standard vs hi-res files when playing ?

Other options of course would be a NAS over WiFi or audio via HAT thus bypassing your crowded USB though I'm still interested to see the outputs above.
Tx for your interest,
bur now I switched to fanless minipc with Volumio. since an RPi4, with case and accessories, has practically the same price, if not higher (WHEN it will be available)
and there are valid software alternatives, indeed more choice, using a usb dac there is no reason to remain with raspberry.
I will continue to use it on my
secondary stereo system, however,
with an hat dac

Fine.

But... do not shout, if you please... we ain't deaf.

I fixed the font size.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Now we are... one fan... less
(02-24-2023, 03:52 PM)CallMeMike Wrote: Now we are... one fan... less

lol, good one.

There are many good player softwares out there both commercial and free, and many good hardware platforms. Choice is a good thing and so everyone should use whatever meets their needs. If moOde and Raspberry Pi happens to be that choice then our nice project is here to provide support :-)

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
sorry for font size, I wrote on smartphone and I don't know why it used that size.
I will continue to use moode on rasp wiith dac hat and shared library on wifi on secondary stereo system
so... no one fan less Big Grin