Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Best solder flux I have used
So tonight I had to solder headers to a Pi Pico.
Grumble grumble where is that Fry's Flux...lost!

You know when you smear a flux on the cleaning pad for the iron just to give an occasional wipe and flow Wink 

So not finding the Fry's I cast about and found (I am a jeweller and need several high-temp fluxes for soldering precious metals. None of which translate to low temp use Sad  ) and found some Oil of Wintergreen that I use for lubricating burrs and small drill bits (sub 1mm) as it prevents the temperature oxidation for high speed high temp use.

What the... poured some on the cleaning pad and wiped the iron then proceeded to solder.

Absolute magic !!  I have never ever, not now, not ever, (who remembers that ?) had a soldering go so wonderfully well for each and every pin.
Will use again. Cool
----------
bob
I tried soldering once. It was a disaster. I'm told that relying on the flux core in the solder I was given was my mistake and that good flux is the start of any decent soldering.

Maybe I'll try again one day.
----------------
Robert
Thanks for the tip, Bob...
The (almost) leadless soldering wire is a pain in the proverbial whatsit :-) I've just checked on Amazon, 100ml of Nikura Wintergreen Essential Oil is £9.95 (as against £4.75 for a mere 10ml) so it will outlast me!

Happy Soldering, chaps!
Mike, you should be able to go to your local pharmacy and buy it...usually sold as a sports medicine.
Rub it in and the OTT aroma alerts all and sundry you have overexerted a portion of your anatomy. ( and no definitely don't rub it there)
----------
bob
...oh I see, that's the reason for my wife's funny smiles all of the sudden... ahemm...
Public service announcement

Oil of wintergreen (methyl salicylate) is toxic. Be sure you’re soldering in a well-ventilated space as you should in any case.
(02-24-2023, 02:21 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Public service announcement

Oil of wintergreen (methyl salicylate) is toxic. Be sure you’re soldering in a well-ventilated space as you should in any case.

Well said, huffing flux of any kind is never a good thing.

Yes, the extractor works well Smile    Thanks for the heads-up.

After a thorough perusal of the web-info the toxicity seems to be either immediately orally ingested or long term cortical application with underlying conditions.
I'm using a vapor extractor for soldering and other than the residual aroma from the wipe pad I assume no further deleterious effects ?
----------
bob
(02-25-2023, 05:37 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:

Yes, the extractor works well Smile    Thanks for the heads-up.

After a thorough perusal of the web-info the toxicity seems to be either immediately orally ingested or long term cortical application with underlying conditions.
I'm using a vapor extractor for soldering  and other than the residual aroma from the wipe pad I assume no further deleterious effects ?

Muscle-Pain Reliever Is Blamed for Staten Island Runner’s Death

Thanks for the soldering tip.
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS
Just a follow-up report on Oil of Wintergreen.

DRONE7, wow you are right! I can't find bottles of wintergreen in the pharmacy, as in the past here in the US. Maybe it was pulled after the death of the teenager. I had an old tube of Icy Hot (30% methyl salicylate) and tried it. It cleans the tip of the soldering iron to looking new in seconds. No residue. Simply amazing stuff. Great find!

Active solder flux has higher amounts of rosin, which is tree sap with the terpenes (turpentine) boiled off. The darker the color of the flux, the more rosin.  The problem with rosin is that it leaves a residue. Methyl salicylate is really clean and residue free.

Regarding toxicity, children are particularly susceptible, because they don't metabolize methyl salicylate well. Toxicity usually occurs by ingestion. 

Methyl salicylate can be used as the flavoring agent in mint candies, such as Altoids.