Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

[split] moOde 8.3.0 and CamillaDSP Volume
(03-19-2023, 11:27 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(03-19-2023, 11:00 AM)jonners Wrote: Progress. I created a fresh 8.3 image with the RPi Imager and now the Camilla volume works as it should. Previously I was using an updated system.

Thats good info. 

Did you update from an 825 release or were there multiple accumulated updates?

(03-19-2023, 11:29 AM)jonners Wrote: Yes, from an 825 release.

Ok, I'll see if I can repro.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I'm still getting the other issue that @ycdtosa mentioned: When turning off Camilla loudness, volume reverts to 'hardware' instead of the required 'software'. Since my DAC doesn't have hardware volume available it would play at 0dB if I didn't notice.
(03-19-2023, 12:09 PM)jonners Wrote: I'm still getting the other issue that @ycdtosa mentioned: When turning off Camilla loudness, volume reverts to 'hardware' instead of the required 'software'. Since my DAC doesn't have hardware volume available it would play at 0dB if I didn't notice.

What model DAC?
Enjoy the Music!
(03-19-2023, 12:35 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(03-19-2023, 12:09 PM)jonners Wrote: I'm still getting the other issue that @ycdtosa mentioned: When turning off Camilla loudness, volume reverts to 'hardware' instead of the required 'software'. Since my DAC doesn't have hardware volume available it would play at 0dB if I didn't notice.

What model DAC?

It's an IFi Audio Zen DAC V2.
The same issue with my SMSL Sanskrit Mk2 DAC: That does have hardware vol. available, but nevertheless if I select Software volume it switches over to Hardware after turning Camilla loudness on and off again.
(03-19-2023, 12:46 PM)jonners Wrote:
(03-19-2023, 12:35 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

What model DAC?

It's an IFi Audio Zen DAC V2.

When switching from CamillaDSP volume back to MPD volume (Hardware or Software) the preference is to use Hardware volume if the device supports it. The volume level is reset to the knob value so even if MPD volume is set to "Hardware" it should not be at 0dB unless the knob is at 100.

Try the command below to see if moOde thinks the DAC has a hardware volume controller. It will either return the mixer (controller) name for example "Digital" or "Master" or it will return "none" if moOde was unable to determine the actual mixer name.

Code:
sudo moodeutl -d | grep amixname

The command below lists all the "simple mixer" controls the device reports to ALSA.

Code:
# Specify card 2 for USB connected DAC
amixer -c2 scontrols
Enjoy the Music!
Here's the result. I should add that altering the levels in Alsamixer makes no change in the output volume when playing.

Last login: Sun Mar 19 14:13:42 2023 from 192.168.8.239
pi@moode:~ $ sudo moodeutl -d | grep amixname
amixname|iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio
pi@moode:~ $ # Specify card 2 for USB connected DAC
amixer -c2 scontrols
Simple mixer control 'iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio ',0
Simple mixer control 'iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio ',1
pi@moode:~ $
The symptom "altering the levels in Alsamixer makes no change in the output volume" is very odd since moOde software is out of the picture at that point and ALSA lists two Hardware mixer controls for the device.

Does the manufacturer have any information on the function of the two listed ALSA mixer controls?

The full ALSA mixer listing for the device can be obtained via the command below.
Code:
amixer -c2
Enjoy the Music!
Hardware volume shows up in 'Moode Audio Output - Volume Type' but if selected it has no effect on the playback volume, which remains at 0dB. I have made an enquiry to IFi about this.
Here's the full listing:
pi@moode:~ $ amixer -c2
 Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
 Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 32512
 Mono:
 Front Left: Playback 32512 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
 Front Right: Playback 32512 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
 Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
 Playback channels: Mono
 Mono: Playback 32511 [100%] [-0.01dB] [on]
(03-19-2023, 03:31 PM)jonners Wrote: Hardware volume shows up in  'Moode Audio Output - Volume Type' but if selected it has no effect on the playback volume, which remains at 0dB. I have made an enquiry to IFi about this.

Here's the full listing:
pi@moode:~ $ amixer -c2
 Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
 Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
 Mono:
 Front Left: Playback 32512 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
 Front Right: Playback 32512 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
 Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
 Playback channels: Mono
 Mono: Playback 32511 [100%] [-0.01dB] [on]

Hardware should indeed show up in the dropdown because the DAC reports to linux that it has a hardware volume controller.

The fact that it is not functioning even in alsamixer is something that hopefully the manufacturer can address. A search using Bing and Google did not reveal anything. I did notice that the device has a Fixed/Variable volume switch on the back so maybe this is somehow involved?
Enjoy the Music!