Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Activation Local Display
(03-17-2023, 06:17 PM)ECELO Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 03:09 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I see you are using the wonderful ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8.

There are some good things brewing for this super nice DIY DAC project so stay tuned :-)

Fantastic! Is the ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 driver just a standard RPI-DAC driver with a different name, or does it have its own unique features? Until now, I've been using the excellent Audiophonics TDA1387 DAC, but this ProtoDAC seems to sound wonderfully. Is it just psychoacoustics or suggestion, or does the driver better exploit the characteristics of the boards with TDA1387X8?

Thank you both for the kind feedback. 

TDA1387 x 8 DACs with passive I/V was the starting point, since they sounded best to me. Then optimizing the sound quality. I thought about bypassing the unnecessary latch circuit and removing the output filter (in the TeraDak, which is very similar to the Audiophonics), but it was easier to use the module and start from scratch. That sounded surprisingly very, very good. It turns out that the output filter is unnecessary and detrimental. Next was to determine the proper I/V resistor value, which doesn't cause clipping at 0dB. I worked with diyA stellarelephant, and we listened to many types of I/V resistors. Metal foil are superior by a wide margin. Finally, the inverse relationship between the I/V resistor value and the Vcc decoupling caps.
(03-17-2023, 07:25 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 06:17 PM)ECELO Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 03:09 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I see you are using the wonderful ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8.

There are some good things brewing for this super nice DIY DAC project so stay tuned :-)

Fantastic! Is the ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 driver just a standard RPI-DAC driver with a different name, or does it have its own unique features? Until now, I've been using the excellent Audiophonics TDA1387 DAC, but this ProtoDAC seems to sound wonderfully. Is it just psychoacoustics or suggestion, or does the driver better exploit the characteristics of the boards with TDA1387X8?

Yes, just the standard "rpi-dac" driver. The name has been deprecated by the Pi devs and replaced by "i2s-dac". The rpi-dac name will still work going forward but eventually will be phased out. 

The next release of moOde will start using the new name. Below is the README from the /boot/overlays directory.

Code:
Name:   i2s-dac
Info:   Configures any passive I2S DAC soundcard.
Load:   dtoverlay=i2s-dac
Params: <None>

Name:   rpi-dac
Info:   This overlay has been renaamed to i2s-dac.
Load:   <Deprecated>

I think the excellent sound quality of the ProtoDAC is a result of the elegantly simple design, the custom TDA1387 x 8 chip module and the use of premium components. I'm running my prototype unit on top of a Kali Reclocker :-)

If you want a preview of what's being worked on then have a look at the draft.
https://github.com/moode-player/docs/blo...x-8-module

Yes! I am half-way through building this and so looking forward to listening....kudos to @hifinet !
----------
bob