Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

How to play an external USB stick through Moode?
I bought the RPi4 with Moode already installed on it around 3 years ago.

So I gather that I cant simply use the "Check for software update" and "INSTALL" buttons shown on my previous screenshot to do this?

My RPi and Moode knowledge is pretty much zero, as I have never had to configure or set anything up on either.

My biggest worry is that if I start to try and update to the latest Moode version, but then get stuck part way through, I will be worse off than I am now (at least the Moode radio stations work ok)

To upgrade to the latest Moode, I am guessing I have to get a new micro SD card and install Moode on it, and then swap my current SD card out for it?

Would that mean if I get stuck part way through the new Moode upgrade, I can simply put my current Micro SD card back in and it will start working again without risk of losing any settings or existing functions?

Sorry for all the dumb questions...I think I might be a bit out of my depth with all of this!
(03-27-2023, 08:13 AM)setfan Wrote: To upgrade to the latest Moode, I am guessing I have to get a new micro SD card and install Moode on it, and then swap my current SD card out for it?

Would that mean if I get stuck part way through the new Moode upgrade, I can simply put my current Micro SD card back in and it will start working again without risk of losing any settings or existing functions?
Yup, that is a good way to do it.  Read the installation guide carefully though, you need to set up the image right before you put the new sd card in your Pi.
(03-27-2023, 08:13 AM)setfan Wrote: Sorry for all the dumb questions...I think I might be a bit out of my depth with all of this!
There are no dumb questions, you'll get in your depth soon enough if you ask questions and listen to the answers.

As for using the "check for update" feature, I'm not sure that will work from that far back I'm afraid.
----------------
Robert
(03-27-2023, 08:13 AM)setfan Wrote: To upgrade to the latest Moode, I am guessing I have to get a new micro SD card and install Moode on it, and then swap my current SD card out for it?

Sorry for all the dumb questions...I think I might be a bit out of my depth with all of this!

Yes it's a good idea to have another card so that you always have a backup in future.
Thanks. I remember asking the previous seller what Raspberry software was on my RPi, and he said NONE, only Moode was loaded on it.
Having a quick look at the Moode setup guide, it sounds like I have to have a Raspberry Pi Imager...I think I am going to come to grief with all of this very quickly! So, if I do, can I simply go back to plugging back in my original micro SD to go back to what I am currently using?

SECURITY

The ISO image does not contain the userid pi, SSH service, WiFi SSID or Access
Point password.

- The pi userid/password and WiFi SSID/password can can be created using the
official Raspberry Pi Imager. Refer to the link below for information on
operating system security and how to use the Raspberry Pi Imager.
https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspber...pril-2022/
Yes the original card will continue to work as it does.
The RPi Imager is a free download.
Step through it carefully, reading as you go. It will become clear as you do it, and if you keep the original SD card, you can always go back. It is very hard to break things beyond fixing as long as you don't use a hammer Smile
----------------
Robert
Thanks for the reassurance!  Wink

Do you know if I will need to connect my RPi4 up to a screen and keyboard at any stage to load the new Moode version on it?

Or is it just a case of loading up the micro SD card with Moode, then insert it in the RPi4, and then just open the Moode homepage on my android phone and change any Moode settings from there?

Am wondering about the Raspberry Pi imager part where I need to install it on the micro SD card...How will I be able to view the pi userid/password and WiFi SSID/password once it has been created using the Raspberry Pi Imager?

Thanks again guys!
Put the Pi Imager on your laptop/desktop and put the fresh SD card into a card reader attached to that. Follow the instructions in the Pi Imager (if you have the latest version of it, then moOde is built in available from the "Media Player OS" section.
Press the cog button once you've selected the OS and set things up in there. Hostname will be what your player is called on the network "moode.local" is the usual default but you can call it anything you like. That will be the address you use to get to the the UI.
Select enable SSH and then you will be able to login to a terminal once it is all running, use password authentication and choose a user of "pi" (for now to work around an unresolved issue) and set the password to whatever you desire (remember it).
If you want your player to connect to wifi, tick configure wireless LAN and enter the wifi credentials for your network.

Save the options, then select your SD card in the choose storage button, then write.

Once it is done, pop the SD card in your Pi, turn on, wait a few minutes for the lights to stop flashing like a madman, then point your browser at "moode.local" or whatever hostname you chose and all should look very familiar.
----------------
Robert
Thanks Robert, your very clear and helpful instructions have given me a LOT more confidence to attempt this now!
Will let you know how I go once I get organised with another micro SD card, etc.