Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Network NAS not found
Hi

I am currently using 8.3.0 but earlier versions have had the same issue. I have my music folder on a WDMyCloud (the original NAS with 3TB capacity). It handles my backups as well so contains many shares. It usually works fine with Moode. But in the past few months I have found it difficult to get Moode to find the library. Sometimes it works but often not. I get error folder not found.
I am using SMB and scan to find the folder. This seems to work - I can select the folder WDMYCLOUD but this is not the complete address. So I have always edited to get to the music folder (which contains individual folders for my albums). The address I use is WDMYCLOUD/...../Music. In the past this has worked but now it does not! Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks.
@feh123 

Huh.

It should be possible to mount either the full SMB share published by the NAS or one of the subdirectories within it.

For example, my OpenMediaVault NAS (named "OMV-HC1") publishes a share named "MUSIC". As tested just now on a moOde 8.3.0 player, I can mount
  • OMV-HC1/MUSIC, or I can mount
  • OMV-HC1/MUSIC/Classical, or I can mount
  • OMV-HC1/MUSIC/Classical/Fournier, equally well
[I cheated a little. In actuality I don't have a local DNS resolver on my LAN so I have to append the .local domain to the NAS DNS hostname. I didn't show it for clarity.]

Where are you seeing the "folder not found" message?

Just for grins, from the command line you can get a listing of everything offered in a SMB share

Code:
smbclient //<host>/<share> -c 'recurse;ls' -U <user%password>

So, for my NAS (which publishes the MUSIC share with GUEST R/W permission so no password is needed)

Code:
pi@m830p3a:~ $ smbclient //OMV-HC1.local/MUSIC -c 'recurse;ls' -U Guest%
 .                                   D        0  Sun Dec 18 13:29:49 2022
 ..                                  D        0  Wed Aug 24 20:59:11 2022
 World                               D        0  Wed Apr 13 21:27:57 2016
 Playlists                           D        0  Fri May 27 12:34:57 2016
 Classical                           D        0  Thu May 12 09:02:30 2016
 Soundtracks                         D        0  Wed Apr 13 19:51:48 2016
...approximately a gazillion more lines of output as it recurses through the directories!...

Does this work for you and can you find your Music directory in the list?

Regards,
Kent
(03-27-2023, 05:44 PM)feh123 Wrote: Hi

I am currently using 8.3.0 but earlier versions have had the same issue. I have my music folder on a WDMyCloud (the original NAS with 3TB capacity). It handles my backups as well so contains many shares. It usually works fine with Moode. But in the past few months I have found it difficult to get Moode to find the library. Sometimes it works but often not. I get error folder not found.
I am using SMB and scan to find the folder. This seems to work - I can select the folder WDMYCLOUD but this is not the complete address. So I have always edited to get to the music folder (which contains individual folders for my albums). The address I use is WDMYCLOUD/...../Music. In the past this has worked but now it does not! Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks.

The symptom "Sometimes it works but often not." suggests something external to moOde software for example issues with network, NAS etc. 

Assuming your NAS is connected to your Router via Ethernet try connecting your Pi via Ethernet as well and see if the issue reoccurs.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
What Tim said!

External problems trump my remarks about SMB shares.

Regards,
Kent
Hi Apologises for my slow response, I have been away. You are right it appears to be something other than Moode doing this. Today I updated my mac to 13.3 and I found that my the NAS and my albums were there - I have not changed the address that was not working two weeks ago. The folder had been found but the metadata cache was wrong and I had to regenerate the cache and then the albums were right.
My NAS has been handling NTFS files from PC's as a backup. Recently with my new(ish) mac I have been reformatting this backup stuff to exFAT to make it more compatible with my non PC network. 
But I cannot be sure this is the issue.
One thing about your replies - should I make the music folder itself a share? Currnetly it is a folder within a share?

Thanks again for your responses.