Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Lower noise with USB to S/PDIF to I2S
I was making an I2S DAC for a friend of mine. He is old school, and uses a CD transport with S/PDIF output to an external DAC.  

I used a DIR9001 module to convert S/PDIF to I2S. I needed to test this, and I don't have a CD transport. 

I used a PCM2704 USB to SPDIF module with Raspberry Pi USB output and Moode. USB to S/PDIF to I2S. 

This sounds better than my regular setup, which is Kali and the I2S DAC. There is significantly reduced CPU noise with the USB to S/PDIF to I2S setup. I am not referring to noise in silence (there is none), but noise modulating on the signal, which creates a slight increase in perceived treble. 

Power for the DIR9001/I2S DAC is separate from the RPi/PCM2704. There is a single supply in the RPi/Kali/I2S DAC. All supplies are the same SMPS.

The difference is unmistakable, and I am having difficulty going back to my regular setup.
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS
(04-02-2023, 02:23 PM)hifinet Wrote: I was making an I2S DAC for a friend of mine. He is old school, and uses a CD transport with S/PDIF output to an external DAC.  

I used a DIR9001 module to convert S/PDIF to I2S. I needed to test this, and I don't have a CD transport. 

I used a PCM2704 USB to SPDIF module with Raspberry Pi USB output and Moode. USB to S/PDIF to I2S. 

This sounds better than my regular setup, which is Kali and the I2S DAC. There is significantly reduced CPU noise with the USB to S/PDIF to I2S setup. I am not referring to noise in silence (there is none), but noise modulating on the signal, which creates a slight increase in perceived treble. 

Power for the DIR9001/I2S DAC is separate from the RPi/PCM2704. There is a single supply in the RPi/Kali/I2S DAC. All supplies are the same SMPS.

The difference is unmistakable, and I am having difficulty going back to my regular setup.
Interesting! Was it one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Lazmin-Portable-PCM2704-Decoder-Amplifier/dp/B07S2JZXTX/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_w=G7k5J&content-id=amzn1.sym.116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_p=116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_r=79DGFB9VKCH1JEG7VXA3&pd_rd_wg=cPSl7&pd_rd_r=93b5aa16-0b06-470f-b217-b0996c794240&pd_rd_i=B07S2JZXTX&psc=1

I
 was interested in the HDMI audio extractor that you last posted to, but that path (to S/PDIF) might need some work in MoOde that I can't do and this looks like it will just plug in.

Thanks,  Skip
Yes, that is the USB to S/PDIF board.  This is the module I bought. The module I received looks like this.

If anyone is interested in USB-S/PDIF-I2S, this is the DIR9001 module . The one I received is actually different, and has SCK0, SCK1 jumpers to set the clock frequency (chart in the left lower corner of the PCB). It looks like this module, except a green PCB.
[Image: dsc_8909-jpg.1090517]
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
@hifinet did you use your Kali in combination with the Allo Isolator? This would provide enough separation between the pi and the i2s audio path.
Even an Allo Isolator with a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro as i2s master clock is pretty silent.
But what I prefer most for I2S is the Ian Canada Fifopi solution (reclocker+isolator+option for better clocks).
(04-03-2023, 05:20 PM)bitlab Wrote: @hifinet did you use your Kali in combination with the Allo Isolator? This would provide enough separation between the pi and the i2s audio path.
Even an Allo Isolator with a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro as i2s master clock is pretty silent.
But what I prefer most for I2S is the Ian Canada Fifopi solution (reclocker+isolator+option for better clocks).

I have an Ian Canada Isolator II that I haven't set up yet. I need more power supplies.