Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

MoOde as music player in a car?
Hi,

I've been using two MoOde players with great pleasure and now I'm thinking of extending to my car as well.

Has anyone tried this and what happens when the power from the car stops when you get out of the car. Can MoOde OS take this abrupt power cut or will the Pi and SD card get corrupted at some point? 

I've read about PiCorePlayer which entirely runs in ram and thus an abrupt power cut apparently does not do any harm. Not sure how this would befor MoOde though?

Another thing I read about raudio-1 player (former Rune) is that it can support a DAB antenna to receive DAB broadcasting radio, that might be interesting for MoOde as well.

And can you control MoOde when in hotspot mode (with USB drive with music on it)?

Thanks in advance for your builds!
Hi, have you tried moode in the car ?

I also thinking about it, just not clear which path to go: I do have Apple Car Play which works fine with my iPhone. The radio also accepts BT connections - so the car radio could play the BT headset for the a RPi with Moode SW and a 7" screen. I do have 12V and USB connectors for power and USB for radio connection. Just not sure how long the car keep the power on for these device connectors ...

So maybe you are already a step ahead ?
(04-06-2023, 08:48 AM)Falco Wrote: Hi,

I've been using two MoOde players with great pleasure and now I'm thinking of extending to my car as well.

Has anyone tried this and what happens when the power from the car stops when you get out of the car. Can MoOde OS take this abrupt power cut or will the Pi and SD card get corrupted at some point? 

I've read about PiCorePlayer which entirely runs in ram and thus an abrupt power cut apparently does not do any harm. Not sure how this would befor MoOde though?

Another thing I read about raudio-1 player (former Rune) is that it can support a DAB antenna to receive DAB broadcasting radio, that might be interesting for MoOde as well.

And can you control MoOde when in hotspot mode (with USB drive with music on it)?

Thanks in advance for your builds!

I've read a lot about people worried about not shutting their pi down properly and corrupting SD the card; buying gadgets like power buttons which shut down nicely, battery backups etc.  All I can say is that I've got 3 Pis - a 3, 4 and zero - I've had them up to 10 years.  One's pretty much always on,as a file server, but the other two are moOde boxes which get powered up, used, and then powered off abruptly on an almost daily basis and I've never corrupted anything, ever.  So don't worry about it.
You could do what I do, which is to connect to Moodeaudio running at home.

I have Moodeaudio feeding into an external DAC, and the line output is then split to the power amp and also to another Raspberry Pi which acts as an audio processor and radio streamer. I can access it from my car (or anywhere outside my home) via mobile data using a VPN, so I can control it remotely and listen to it in my car too.

It really depends on how much budget and time you have, but it works well for me, and the set up works 24/7 so I can listen to it on both internal and external internet radios.

EDIT: If you want to keep it simple, then you could just use the built-in streamer feature on Moodeaudio and connect to that via your VPN. It offers either MP3 or FLAC encoding. So all you need to do is set up a VPN server on your home network. 

I prefer AAC encoding at 320K 48Khz which is the maximum my internet radios support, or 16-bit 44Khz FLAC (so the FLAC encoder doesn't work with my internet radios) - so I decided to use my own encoder instead. 

The audio processing is simply to assist with listening to the music in noisy environments like the car, kitchen etc and I don't have to keep touching the volume control when albums change and so on. I do not use the audio processor when I listen to music on my main system at home. 

So I've essentially set up a 'Moodeaudio in the cloud' service to listen outside my home, so there's no need to worry about putting any hardware in the car besides my phone and a bluetooth adapter which plugs into the car's audio system. 

I hope this helps and perhaps inspires!