Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: moode 8.3.0 - HDMI local display does not work
(04-14-2023, 01:32 PM)Nutul Wrote: Hi,

isn't it something about the HDMI output to use? I mean, the Pi4 has 2 mini (or micro, that is...) HDMI outputs; but I seem to remember something about only one of them can be addressed by the local UI, which is the one closer to the power (USB-C) input?

Or am I totally screwed up, in which case just ignore the comment...?

Honestly I don't know but I don't think, I didn't touch anything: just switched the sd card
(04-14-2023, 05:40 PM)manolomalele Wrote:

isn't it something about the HDMI output to use? I mean, the Pi4 has 2 mini (or micro, that is...) HDMI outputs; but I seem to remember something about only one of them can be addressed by the local UI, which is the one closer to the power (USB-C) input?

Honestly I don't know but I don't think, I didn't touch anything: just switched the sd card

In your OP you wrote

Quote:I can see all the booting messages but as soon as the system is ready the display remains black.

This suggests you have the display connected to the port that moOde/RPiOS is talking to and if you're seeing the boot messages fill the screen then your config.txt parameters must be at least approximately correct.

The fact that the display blanks once moOde is in control suggests the X11 server isn't starting.

Out of curiosity did you create a different default user instead of "pi"?

Regards,
Kent
(04-14-2023, 09:04 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:

In your OP you wrote

Quote:I can see all the booting messages but as soon as the system is ready the display remains black.

This suggests you have the display connected to the port that moOde/RPiOS is talking to and if you're seeing the boot messages fill the screen then your config.txt parameters must be at least approximately correct.

The fact that the display blanks once moOde is in control suggests the X11 server isn't starting.

Regards,
Kent

Quote:Out of curiosity did you create a different default user instead of "pi"?
ehm... yes. I did.

Default user is "moode" now...
How can i revert/solve it?
(04-15-2023, 12:32 PM)manolomalele Wrote:
(04-14-2023, 09:04 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:

In your OP you wrote

Regards,
Kent

Quote:Out of curiosity did you create a different default user instead of "pi"?
ehm... yes. I did.

Default user is "moode" now...
How can i revert/solve it?

https://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-...d-password

Is it okay to do as explained above?
@manolomalele 

You've been bitten by a residual bug in 8.3.0. The systemd service for the local display assumes the user name is "pi".

If you had flashed the moOde image using the Raspberry Pi Imager having adjusted the Imager's configuration settings to enable SSH with the default user "moode", then I know what state it is in and I have a relatively easy hack.

Since you've used system admin tools like usermod after booting moOde I don't know what state it is in. Triage could be relatively easy or it could be hard.

Candidly, I believe your best option is to flash a new image to a uSD card with the default user "pi" and whatever password you want but you might first try the command below.

Regards,
Kent

PS

the hack for a system with default user configured using the Imager  is to run the following from the command line and reboot

Code:
sudo sed -i\.dist 's/User=pi/User=1000/' /usr/lib/systemd/system/localui.service

This command saves a copy of the original localui.service file as localui.service.dist and then changes the User= directive in localui.service from username 'pi' to userid '1000'. One could instead change it to whatever username you have chosen, e.g. 'moode'. Whether by username or userid, the home directory of that user must contain the.xinitrc file that moOde conventionally puts in user pi's home directory.

PPS -

For completeness, when in the home directory on your moOde player, run the following two commands and show us the result

Code:
ls -la
ls - la ..
Thank you really much Kent,
I dind'n consider the different user.
My bad, but it was the first time I was using the new flashing procedure.

Reflashed from scretches, pi user, now everything goes ok.

Thank you really much.
I can set this topic as [SOLVED]