Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Composer is not an artist?
Hi,

when i'm using the Library Tag View three columns are displayed: Genres, Artist und Album.

In the preferences i can read what an Artist is:

Quote:Artist: List all artists, album artists, performers and conductors. Compilation albums listed for a selected artist will show only the tracks belonging to the artist. Clicking the album will toggle between showing all the album's tracks and just those for the selected artist.

Unfortunetly, the composer is nut taken into account (btw whar is performer?)

I can change the first column to composer, but then i always need to change back and forth as i like to have the genre tag as well.

I tend to store the composer ti album artist as well to get him/ser listed there as well. but maybe there is a small chance that the composer will also be listed under artist in one of the next versions?

//huebi
(04-14-2023, 07:24 PM)Huebi Wrote: Hi,

when i'm using the Library Tag View three columns are displayed: Genres, Artist und Album.

Quote:Artist: List all artists, album artists, performers and conductors. Compilation albums listed for a selected artist will show only the tracks belonging to the artist. Clicking the album will toggle between showing all the album's tracks and just those for the selected artist.

I can change the first column to composer, but then i always need to change back and forth as i like to have the genre tag as well.

I tend to store the composer ti album artist as well to get him/ser listed there as well. but maybe there is a small chance that the composer will also be listed under artist in one of the next versions?

//huebi

I am thinking of a composer in the scenario of classical music; in such a context the composer may actually be thought as being the "artist"...?

I know nowadays there are "composers" for songs actually performed by "artists" that most probably you won't hear about the next summer, but that's not my point.

Back to your struggle, you can also differentiate by using both AlbumArtist and Artist.
Here is the MPD documentation on tags
https://mpd.readthedocs.io/en/stable/protocol.html#tags
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-14-2023, 07:24 PM)Huebi Wrote: Hi,

//huebi

IIRC back in the 7 series Composer was added to the Artist list but the general consensus was that it would be better if it could be toggled with Genre so that only Composers were in the list.

You can also use search to find tracks by a particular composer.
Enjoy the Music!
To my taste (I listen a lot to classical music), I'm still waiting (from MPD) for a 4th "composers" column.

In the meantime, I've added (classic) composer names at the start of each album name, it's the best way I've found to easily navigate through my library.
musical regards

y.
(04-16-2023, 10:39 AM)yannig Wrote: To my taste (I listen a lot to classical music), I'm still waiting (from MPD) for a 4th "composers" column.

In the meantime, I've added (classic) composer names at the start of each album name, it's the best way I've found to easily navigate through my library.

Hi,

although I perfectly understand what you are trying to achieve, in terms of sorting and/or filtering, why in hell do you mention COMPOSER?!?!?
The composer is, ehm... the composer, that is: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Puccini, and the like... you wanted to say director? performer?
Then it's perfectly understandable that two different orchestras / ensembles / directors play Beethoven's 5th...

Just my 2c in pursuit of understanding this struggle with classical music, which I do not encounter. And yes, I do have different interpretations of the same classical pièce, and I differentiate them writing the details (again: orchestra / director / performer) in the comment tag.
(04-16-2023, 07:00 PM)Nutul Wrote:
(04-16-2023, 10:39 AM)yannig Wrote: To my taste (I listen a lot to classical music), I'm still waiting (from MPD) for a 4th "composers" column.

Hi,

although I perfectly understand what you are trying to achieve, in terms of sorting and/or filtering, why in hell do you mention COMPOSER?!?!?
The composer is, ehm... the composer, that is: Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Puccini, and the like... you wanted to say director? performer?
Then it's perfectly understandable that two different orchestras / ensembles / directors play Beethoven's 5th...

Just my 2c in pursuit of understanding this struggle with classical music, which I do not encounter. And yes, I do have different interpretations of the same classical pièce, and I differentiate them writing the details (again: orchestra / director / performer) in the comment tag.

I'm fine with the "artists" column for performers etc.

I just want a fourth column for composers for classical music, I don't really need it for other genres

And a composer is not a director or a performer, I don't understand your question...

In fact, I want something that looks a bit like an iTunes or Audirvana presentation (and several others).

four columns: Genres, Composers, Artists, Albums.
I don't need more, but I feel uncomfortable with less

One day, perhaps...
musical regards

y.
(04-15-2023, 01:51 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: IIRC back in the 7 series Composer was added to the Artist list but the general consensus was that it would be better if it could be toggled with Genre so that only Composers were in the list.

What about making this customizable so that everybody can decide what should be taken into acount under "Artist"?
(04-17-2023, 07:14 PM)Huebi Wrote:
(04-15-2023, 01:51 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: IIRC back in the 7 series Composer was added to the Artist list but the general consensus was that it would be better if it could be toggled with Genre so that only Composers were in the list.

What about making this customizable so that everybody can decide what should be taken into acount under "Artist"?

That would conflict with the existing option to have Genres or Composers as the first column in the hierarchy.
Enjoy the Music!