Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Synology NAS NFS - problem update library
hi to everyone

i have a large library on my Synology NAS correctly recognized in app and after scan the letter a.b.c.d .... after a while the app
stuck and I have to reboot system and every time a retry I have only letter A and B..

any idea? 

thanks
(04-16-2023, 07:31 PM)pisuke74 Wrote: hi to everyone

i have a large library on my Synology NAS correctly recognized in app and after scan the letter a.b.c.d .... after a while the app
stuck and I have to reboot system and every time a retry I have only letter A and B..

any idea? 

thanks

You may want to have a look at the MPD log, it should list the last file parsed BEFORE possibly hitting an error (usually weird metadata).
How big is your library, BTW? A 15K tracks one takes less than a minute with my attached 1TB NVMe, it might take 15/20 minutes on your NAS though...
(04-16-2023, 07:46 PM)Nutul Wrote:
(04-16-2023, 07:31 PM)pisuke74 Wrote: hi to everyone

any idea? 

thanks

You may want to have a look at the MPD log, it should list the last file parsed BEFORE possibly hitting an error (usually weird metadata).
How big is your library, BTW? A 15K tracks one takes less than a minute with my attached 1TB NVMe, it might take 15/20 minutes on your NAS though...

hi thanks for reply. it s near 2 tb . I ve leave scan for hours but blocked after some folder. I will read the mpd log
after 7 hours of scan not all the folder are present. why? nfs permission are correct in the main folder and access granted to all sub folder
(04-17-2023, 04:52 AM)pisuke74 Wrote: after 7 hours of scan not all the folder are present. why? nfs permission are correct in the main folder and access granted to all sub folder

Hi,

what do you mean with "not all the folders are present"?

1. Still "A" and "B" folders only?
2. Some (or many) more folders, but still not all?

If 1, then as I said, check the MPD log in the /var/log/mpd folder.
If 2, then it is a matter of speed/performance of either moOde (what Pi model?), the NAS, the network, or all of them.
(04-17-2023, 04:52 AM)pisuke74 Wrote: after 7 hours of scan not all the folder are present. why? nfs permission are correct in the main folder and access granted to all sub folder

Firstly, getting permissions right is tricky in a NFS environment. Quoting from the MPD manual

Quote:Does the MPD user have read permission on all music files, and read+execute permission on all music directories (and all of their parent directories)?

In the case of a NFS mount, this question becomes, does the user on the NFS system to which MPD is mapped have such permissions.

I have a copy of Synology DSM6.1 (yeah, yeah, it's old) that I run as a guest OS on VirtualBox for testing purposes only. I setup a  Music folder as a NFS share with Permissions=Read/Write and Squash="map all users to admin" for access from my moOde players. It works fine.

Generally there's less hassle setting up SAMBA/SMB shares. Since Synology offers a perfectly good SAMBA service, why not try it?

Secondly, as Al has stated, a common reason for MPD to choke on an individual file is the file is corrupt, has a malformed metadata container (especially MP3/ID3), or other wonkiness.

If you crank up the MPD logging level to verbose on the MPD configure panel, then regenerate the music database, you may find valuable information in the (annoyingly verbose) /var/log/mpd/log file. Here's some examples (comments added)

Code:
#directory permission problem
Apr 17 09:08 : exception: Failed to open /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/Synology-nfs/#recycle: Permission denied

#track acceptable
Apr 17 09:08 : update: reading NAS/Synology-nfs/Musical/Barbara Cook/Candide/05 Barbara Cook - Paris Waltz Scene.flac
Apr 17 09:09 : update: added NAS/Synology-nfs/Musical/Barbara Cook/Candide/05 Barbara Cook - Paris Waltz Scene.flac

#track unacceptable
Apr 17 09:09 : update: reading NAS/Omv-Music/rips/A Change of Pace/Prepare the Masses/Run Kid Run - Sing To Me.mp3
Apr 17 09:09 : update: ignoring unrecognized file NAS/Omv-Music/rips/A Change of Pace/Prepare the Masses/Run Kid Run - Sing To Me.mp3

(Sorry, I don't recall what was unacceptable about the last track.)

Again, as Al stated, the log file ends with the last track successfully scanned (if log level=default). It may end with a more meaningful message if the scan terminates prematurely but I don't have a complete suite of tracks with various problems to test with.

As an aside, early on you said you had to reboot the system to recover. I don't recall running into a situation where MPD would hang the system. Is it just that it felt the MPD scan was taking too long or was the system truly hung?

Regards,
Kent