Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

MoodeAudio with Pimoroni PirateAudio
Good Evening Everyone

I have been using MoodeAudio along with Pimoroni PirateAudio for a few years with no issue as far as sound or the TFT screen showing artwork. Never was able to get the four buttons to work but oh well. Music played and artwork displayed properly. I never was able to get the artwork to run as a service but it always worked if I ran the script manually.
Last week I updated to 8.3.1 and have not been able to obtain the TFT cover art since. I have reloaded the software multiple times and had the same luck. The screen will flash but goes blank as if it wants to work but will not pass that point when running the script now.
I have spent countless hours reading thru post and install guides with not luck. The guide I have used is https://github.com/rusconi/TFT-MoodeCoverArt
I must have done something as I now get the attached image when attempting to start the script manually. Never have gotten it to run as a service.
The music plays great with not issue at all. Would like for the screen to work but it isnt the end of the world if it doesnt!!

pi@MoodeAudio:~/TFT-MoodeCoverArt $ python3 /home/pi/TFT-MoodeCoverArt/tft_moode_coverart.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/pi/TFT-MoodeCoverArt/tft_moode_coverart.py", line 409, in <module>
main()
File "/home/pi/TFT-MoodeCoverArt/tft_moode_coverart.py", line 251, in main
moode_meta = getMoodeMetadata(filename)
File "/home/pi/TFT-MoodeCoverArt/tft_moode_coverart.py", line 154, in getMoodeMetadata
metaDict['coverurl'] = urllib.parse.unquote(metaDict['coverurl'])
KeyError: 'coverurl'

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am entirely a noobie so please let me know what info is needed.
(04-19-2023, 05:27 PM)gurutech Wrote: Good Evening Everyone

I have been using MoodeAudio along with Pimoroni PirateAudio for a few years with no issue as far as sound or the TFT screen showing artwork. Never was able to get the four buttons to work but oh well. Music played and artwork displayed properly. I never was able to get the artwork to run as a service but it always worked if I ran the script manually.
Last week I updated to 8.3.1 and have not been able to obtain the TFT cover art since. I have reloaded the software multiple times and had the same luck. The screen will flash but goes blank as if it wants to work but will not pass that point when running the script now.
I have spent countless hours reading thru post and install guides with not luck. The guide I have used is https://github.com/rusconi/TFT-MoodeCoverArt
I must have done something as I now get the attached image when attempting to start the script manually. Never have gotten it to run as a service.
The music plays great with not issue at all. Would like for the screen to work but it isnt the end of the world if it doesnt!!

pi@MoodeAudio:~/TFT-MoodeCoverArt $ python3 /home/pi/TFT-MoodeCoverArt/tft_moode_coverart.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/pi/TFT-MoodeCoverArt/tft_moode_coverart.py", line 409, in <module>
main()
File "/home/pi/TFT-MoodeCoverArt/tft_moode_coverart.py", line 251, in main
moode_meta = getMoodeMetadata(filename)
File "/home/pi/TFT-MoodeCoverArt/tft_moode_coverart.py", line 154, in getMoodeMetadata
metaDict['coverurl'] = urllib.parse.unquote(metaDict['coverurl'])
KeyError: 'coverurl'

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am entirely a noobie so please let me know what info is needed.

See if the file /var/local/www/currentsong.txt contains anything (i.e. is not empty)

If it is empty, go to "m" => "Configure" => "Audio", and under the "General" section of "MPD Options", check that "Metadata file" is set to ON
Thank you for the quick reply!!

I checked my setting and enabled "Metadata file". It was turned off.
Now it shows a fuzzy dotted screen. I rebooted also to double check.
Seems like its getting closer!
I also have data in the /var/local/www/curentsong.txt listed below while playing music.

file=NAS/OMV/Christine Perfect/06 I'd Rather Go Blind.mp3
artist=Christine McVie
album=Christine Perfect
title=I'd Rather Go Blind
coverurl=/coverart.php/NAS%2FOMV%2FChristine%20Perfect%2F06%20I%27d%20Rather%20Go%20Blind.mp3
track=6
date=1970
composer=
encoded=24/44.1 MP3
bitrate=128 kbps
outrate=24 bit, 44.1 kHz, Stereo, 2.117 Mbps
volume=20
mute=0
state=play
Success!!!!

I shutdown thru the app and powered off the Pirate Audio and upon reboot it showed the Moode Logo.
Started a song and the image was there!!!!!
I cannot say thank you enough Nutul for your help. I read about the metadata file before but never found it.
Sometimes the simplest thing is the answer..
(04-19-2023, 10:27 PM)gurutech Wrote: Success!!!!

I shutdown thru the app and powered off the Pirate Audio and upon reboot it showed the Moode Logo.
Started a song and the image was there!!!!!
I cannot say thank you enough Nutul for your help. I read about the metadata file before but never found it.
Sometimes the simplest thing is the answer..

Happy to see you got it working again.

BTW, I thunk if you carefully read the instructions on the git repo where you got the python thing, you could easily get the service running too.
Correct.

It states "Ensure 'Metadata file' is turned on in Moode System Configuration" in bold letters.
Thats little vague to its actual location at least for me. I am not making excuses but I did look several times but obviously overlooked it.
Your clearer description to the location was spot on and that was what I needed.
Sometimes what's simple to some is not for others. i think I had looked so much I had gazed over!!!
Thank you again for your help!
@gurutech would you mind sharing what you have set the named I2S device in moOde's audio output section? I do not see the Pirate Audio amp/DAC listed. Do you just use the Pimoroni pHAT DAC since the chip set is likely similar?

I've not connected Pirate Audio yet, only have moode up and running at the moment. Install version 8.3.7