Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 project
@Tim...
Quote: My point was that there is no Kali "white noise" or other issue with this particular DAC and > 16 bit input.

Yes, means I can bring the Kali back from my wood-shop system and install it in the living room without the other users fiddling and making 'great gouts of whooshing' as they've previously reported ;-)
----------
bob
I have a few Classic Records HDAD discs. These have 24/192 files on DVD and some also have a Redbook CD. On this DAC, the 24/192 files sound perfectly fine, but the Redbook CDs actually sound a bit better to me. Maybe this is due to 16 bits with dithering in the CD, compared to truncating to 16 bits with the 24 bit file. I haven't tried it, but using Camilla simple dithering might be beneficial for HiRes files.
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS
Hi everyone,
sorry: I have just posted it on another thread

Unfortunately the kit is no longer available on ebay: do you all have any advice, please?
Thanks and best regards,

Francesco
(04-24-2023, 07:05 PM)fdealexa Wrote: Hi everyone,

Unfortunately the kit is no longer available on ebay: do you all have any advice, please?
Thanks and best regards,

Francesco

I deleted the duplicate post.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(04-24-2023, 07:22 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(04-24-2023, 07:05 PM)fdealexa Wrote: Hi everyone,

Thanks and best regards,

Francesco

I deleted the duplicate post.

Thanks, Tim
and sorry again.
Best regards,
Francesco
eBay fees are just too high. Tim has graciously allowed me to have a link for the kits on the Moode homepage. I hope to have kits available again in the next day or so.
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Thank you very much.
Best regards and thanks,
Francesco
For those in the US interested in a ProtoDAC parts kit, I will be taking orders by email drwinkler@hotmail.com . I am selling these for close to my cost and only for a limited time. Price is $69 including shipping. I will email you a PayPal invoice. I now have parts on hand, but only a limited number of the TX2575 resistors and RCA jacks, and it took 10 days for Texas Components to fill the last order. 

Please see Post #1 for updated information on kits.

The parts kit includes:
  • One Tested TDA1387 X8 module (eight parallel TDA1387 for TDA1541). The modules are newly manufactured and contain TDA1387 chips which are used, as is the case with all of these modules from China.
  • High quality two layer PCB.
  • Two Texas Components TX2575 audio metal foil I/V resistors (Vishay Z-foil) 
  • Two WIMA MKP 4 6.8uF/160V/10% polypropylene capacitors. Do not attract a magnet.
  • Two audio quality power supply decoupling capacitors consisting of two of the following: Panasonic FR, Nichicon UKA, Nichicon FG, or Elna Silmic II.
  • Two PCB mount RCA jacks. If you don't want the RCA jacks, indicate that in the email and $17 will be subtracted.
  • 40 pin GPIO header
  • Three metal film I2S resistors
[Image: s-l500.jpg]
Good Morning!
I have a kit ordered and have been looking at the build guide etc.
Do you think there is any advantage to a small film bypass on the decoupling caps?
Also - I recall you had used the discrete r2r day from bigbulb. Do you find this Potomac superior? I have one of his AD single chip designs and love it! this set me on the multibit NOS trail and was contemplating the R2R hat before I saw this design.
Thanks!
ProtoDAC, Rpi4, TD146, Mayware, Ortophon Blue, Schitt M1, Pass B1,Ayima, Luxman, MarkAudio OB
(05-01-2023, 12:41 PM)michaelagiles Wrote: Good Morning!
I have a kit ordered and have been looking at the build guide etc.
Do you think there is any advantage to a small film bypass on the decoupling caps?
Also - I recall you had used the discrete r2r dac from bigbulb. Do you find this protodacsuperior? I have one of his AD single chip designs and love it! this set me on the multibit NOS trail and was contemplating the R2R hat before I saw this design.
Thanks!
ProtoDAC, Rpi4, TD146, Mayware, Ortophon Blue, Schitt M1, Pass B1,Ayima, Luxman, MarkAudio OB