Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

moOde 8.3.2 : is it supposed to work correctly ?
(05-08-2023, 06:12 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Yikes! Sorry this has turned into such an ordeal. It's supposed to be "so easy a caveman can do it" Rolleyes

Hi Kent, 

Consider me as a specimen from the pre-caveman era :-)

But if I am the only one encountering those problems, it must be related to my hardware...

I just reflashed moOde 8.3.0 after having used rAudio for a couple of days. 
As I said, changelog does indicate that the jump to 8.3.2 is no giant step forward from 8.3.0, so I probably can live with 8.3.0 for a while :-)
No big deal...

I assume there is a good reason to make rpi-imager mandatory... 

Regards.
(05-08-2023, 09:37 PM)HifiPenguin Wrote:
(05-08-2023, 06:12 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Yikes! Sorry this has turned into such an ordeal. It's supposed to be "so easy a caveman can do it" Rolleyes

Hi Kent, 

Consider me as a specimen from the pre-caveman era :-)

But if I am the only one encountering those problems, it must be related to my hardware...

I just reflashed moOde 8.3.0 after having used rAudio for a couple of days. 
As I said, changelog does indicate that the jump to 8.3.2 is no giant step forward from 8.3.0, so I probably can live with 8.3.0 for a while :-)
No big deal...

I assume there is a good reason to make rpi-imager mandatory... 

Regards.

Like I just told @Wheel_nut in another post, my screen name is literal, not figurative. Professionally I was variously an experimental physicist and research engineer, but I fell in love with digital computers early in Jack Kennedy’s presidency. My first successful program (in FORTRAN II, laboriously written on IBM coding forms and then turned into punched cards) ran on a vacuum tube computer. Breaking other peoples’ programs has long been a specialty of mine too.

If you are up to it, the procedure I outlined in my new HowTo (in the FAQ and Guides sub forum) should work for you. It’s not that the RPi Imager tool is mandated, it’s just that it makes easier the now necessary extra work…usually. Tongue

And enjoy the music!

Regards,
Kent
(05-08-2023, 05:38 PM)HifiPenguin Wrote: EDIT 4 : I herewith confirm that I can't flash moOde 8.3.2 using Raspberry pi Imager on my computer as it does not show anything to flash to.
Same happens on my daughter's Windows 11 driven computer that has no SD-Card slot.
Same happens on Windows 11 Virtual machine that I run from my own computer redirecting the SD card to the virtual machine as a USB device... (can't do it any other way I think).
So 8.3.2 is not an option for me right now :-( Weird I am the only one with this problem !
Maybe a cheapo usb SD card reader for the windows device? That's what I use when forced to use my wife's machine that is windows and SD card-less.
----------------
Robert
(05-09-2023, 01:28 PM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(05-08-2023, 05:38 PM)HifiPenguin Wrote: EDIT 4 : I herewith confirm that I can't flash moOde 8.3.2 using Raspberry pi Imager on my computer as it does not show anything to flash to.
Same happens on my daughter's Windows 11 driven computer that has no SD-Card slot.
Same happens on Windows 11 Virtual machine that I run from my own computer redirecting the SD card to the virtual machine as a USB device... (can't do it any other way I think).
So 8.3.2 is not an option for me right now :-( Weird I am the only one with this problem !
Maybe a cheapo usb SD card reader for the windows device?  That's what I use when forced to use my wife's machine that is windows and SD card-less.

Hi, 

Yes, that would be a solution. Now I have to find a card-reader that will work for sure... 
I also will look around as I probably have one or two lying around but as I never used them I have no idea where they really are :-)

And if I manage to get it done, I'll report here :-)

Or as I said, I can stick to 8.3.0 for the time being.
(05-09-2023, 05:50 PM)HifiPenguin Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 01:28 PM)the_bertrum Wrote:
Maybe a cheapo usb SD card reader for the windows device?  That's what I use when forced to use my wife's machine that is windows and SD card-less.

Hi, 

Yes, that would be a solution. Now I have to find a card-reader that will work for sure... 
I also will look around as I probably have one or two lying around but as I never used them I have no idea where they really are :-)

And if I manage to get it done, I'll report here :-)

Or as I said, I can stick to 8.3.0 for the time being.

Hi, have you had a look at this: https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspber...pril-2022/ If you can't use Balena Etcher, and I, like you, can't because I also use Arch, then use the built in instruction dd. It worked for me. Apologies if you've already found out how to do it, I'll be late for my own funeral.
 If you need any further info/assistance let me know.

dajand
Hello all,

I just tried to update to this version, from the last.
DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!
You will ruin your install, nothing works afterwards.

Apparently I am also somewhat of a dinosaur, as I am used to flashing on Linux with just dd.
This only works with when you afterwards follow the guide @dajand posted!

Not sure this should be "just" an update...
Well, there is my HowTo in the FAQs and Guides subforum but I guess I didn't make it flashy enough 'cuz the same information keeps getting posted by others.

As for updating from a previous working version, many of us accomplish that without issue so we'd need more information to know what went wrong.

Regards,
Kent
(05-19-2023, 11:22 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Well, there is my HowTo in the FAQs and Guides subforum but I guess I didn't make it flashy enough 'cuz the same information keeps getting posted by others.

As for updating from a previous working version, many of us accomplish that without issue so we'd need more information to know what went wrong.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

sorry I can't tell you what went wrong. I updated from the previous version, and after the device simply would not start anymore, as in: no Gui, no console, no ssh...
So no idea what went wrong.

Hendrik-Jan
Hi - Been away from Moode for sometime; having tried to setup the 64 bit 8.3.2 my usual (old) way I encountered the problems describe by the OP e.g. the configuration screens don't work as expected and everything just hangs. Having discovered the new setup changes for 8.3.2, I used the RaspberryPI Imager (with SSH setup enabled for the pi account with a password of moodeaudio). However, I am still having the same issues - am I still missing something? Access is via ethernet - no wifi.