Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Router Mode - WiFi input.
(05-21-2023, 11:39 AM)JessH Wrote: While that would be a very nice system feeding a HiFi, I don't see there would be any advantage over using a laptop to play.

The improvement in this case is that you can control your system from the attached screen while attached to the hotel wifi without the need to bridge the network somehow. It's the simplest solution to your problem, which if I understand it right, is "how to control the headless player when the hotel network makes that hard". Answer, add a screen so it isn't (strictly) headless. It won't be the first time I've missed sn essential point though, so I might be barking up a red herring.
----------------
Robert
@JessH

The use case you first mentioned was connecting to a hotel network. If captive portals aren't common where you are, do you accomplish the connection with the usual SSID and password? Is there any post-connection dialogue before you can reach the Internet?

Regards,
Kent
(05-21-2023, 12:11 PM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(05-21-2023, 11:39 AM)JessH Wrote: While that would be a very nice system feeding a HiFi, I don't see there would be any advantage over using a laptop to play.

The improvement in this case is that you can control your system from the attached screen while attached to the hotel wifi without the need to bridge the network somehow.  It's the simplest solution to your problem, which if I understand it right, is "how to control the headless player when the hotel network makes that hard".  Answer, add a screen so it isn't (strictly) headless.  It won't be the first time I've missed sn essential point though, so I might be barking up a red herring.

I don't think I made it clear enough that I was comparing playing on a regular media player on a laptop, to playing it on Moode on the described device. Were it a single box system, the speaker wouldn't be wonderful.

My current (relevant) situation at the hotel is Chromecast&GTV on the TV (controlled by the remote) usually with a speaker added. Laptop. Mobile, and I can bring a bluetooth speaker to play from the mobile.
(05-21-2023, 12:50 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @JessH

The use case you first mentioned was connecting to a hotel network. If captive portals aren't common where you are, do you accomplish the connection with the usual SSID and password? Is there any post-connection dialogue before you can reach the Internet?

Regards,
Kent

Usually SSID and password, but the place I've staying for a long time (I feel like the Major from Fawlty Towers, except I'm working) is password free. But they have limited connection between devices on the network, (not sure whether fully blocked or not and whether by accident or design). However I did experiments at a different hotel (in Scotland at Christmas) which had a portal and that didn't seem to allow connectivity either. (This wasn't with Moode).

I had to mess around with a WiFi extender from work to get the devices to talk (when on the extended network they could) however this was far too much trouble and now I simply use memory sticks.