Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Router Mode - WiFi input.
(05-17-2023, 09:56 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(05-17-2023, 06:05 PM)JessH Wrote:
(05-17-2023, 11:58 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If the Hotel has Ethernet ports you can use the Router feature in the Access Point (AP) section of Network Config to forward packets between the AP 2.4G network and the Ethernet connection to the Internet.

The Router config is in the file /etc/nftables.conf.

In my experience over 90% don't (including the one I've been staying in for the last 18 months), hence the request. (I'll keep using Moode at home if it doesn't happen, it's nice, but I'm only there perhaps 3 weeks a year in total.)

It could be a great device for these situations.

I just want to make sure I understand the usage scenario.

You want moOde to connect to the Hotel Wifi for Internet access and also run in AP mode so you can connect your phone, laptop, etc to moOde's AP mode 2.4G WiFi network?

Yes, exactly. However my assumption is that using the same radio is likely impractical, so either using a USB device as a second radio or on Pi 4xx devices internet on 2.4 and intranet on 5GHz would be more viable.
(05-17-2023, 06:33 PM)Nutul Wrote:
(05-17-2023, 11:58 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If the Hotel has Ethernet ports you can use the Router feature in the Access Point (AP) section of Network Config to forward packets between the AP 2.4G network and the Ethernet connection to the Internet.

In my experience over 90% don't (including the one I've been staying in for the last 18 months), hence the request. (I'll keep using Moode at home if it doesn't happen, it's nice, but I'm only there perhaps 3 weeks a year in total.)

Have you tried accessing it by its IP...? I remember being in a situation like yours, and I could see it, although not by name.

ETA
I must admit that I had its local UI, so it was easy for me to see its address...
I believe this network isolates devices, since I have tried that previously on several devices. And given the fact that at my work, a temporary WiFi network was deliberately configured that way, it would seem likely.
(05-19-2023, 07:02 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @JessH 

I confess I didn't think very hard before posting my first reply. After doing some reading about how hotel properties are implementing guest WiFi access these days, I suspect my suggestion of using Fing or the like will not be productive. As well, it occurs to me that scanning a hotel's LAN might be perceived by others as a black-hat activity even if only looking for one's own hosts.

It seems both HooToo and GL.iNET sell travel routers which might suit. It looks like both take advantage of the open-source project called OpenWRT and possible the OpenWRT TravelMate addon.

Although captive portal detection and login are mentioned in the Tavelmate docs, I I haven't worked my way through the examples to see how easy/hard it would be to use in a typical hotel setting.

In any case, it would be an interesting project to try to shoehorn some of the same features into moOde, using the OpenWRT code as a guide. As a practical matter, it would be challenging because the dev would have to try to replicate the WiFi systems commonly encountered on hotel properties for testing (or start spending time in hotel rooms!). From my readings, it appears there are several different ways captive portals can be implemented, adding to the testing required.

Given that the commercial travel routers are available for about the same price vendors are charging these days for a Raspberry Pi alone, they would seem a good solution....I'm even considering getting one for my partner and me to use on our next trip.

Regards,
Kent

Fortunately captive portals are relatively rare round here. (And I wonder if a device on an intranet on the system I'm requesting, would be able to authenticate in such a scenario)
Isn't the simplest solution to add a local display?
----------------
Robert
(05-20-2023, 08:24 AM)JessH Wrote:
(05-17-2023, 09:56 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:

I just want to make sure I understand the usage scenario.

You want moOde to connect to the Hotel Wifi for Internet access and also run in AP mode so you can connect your phone, laptop, etc to moOde's AP mode 2.4G WiFi network?

Yes, exactly. However my assumption is that using the same radio is likely impractical, so either using a USB device as a second radio or on Pi 4xx devices internet on 2.4 and intranet on 5GHz would be more viable.

The modifications to support this scenario would be challenging and likely would introduce bugs to an otherwise stable AP mode feature so I'm going to pass on this one.

You best bet would be to attach a local display or try something like a travel router.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
> The modifications to support this scenario would be challenging and likely would introduce bugs to an otherwise stable AP mode feature so I'm going to pass on this one.

That's a shame, would a simple reversal of the mode be similarly difficult? (Connect via wifi, share via Ethernet, either to a single laptop or a switch.) Or does the existing system just connect like a hub and not behave as a NAT router?

> You best bet would be to attach a local display or try something like a travel router.

The former is what I will do when I am initially setting up devices for my home (at the hotel), but neither arrangement would would be viable as a daily driver.

Thanks anyway.
(05-20-2023, 10:03 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: Isn't the simplest solution to add a local display?

Not really, because the set up I am imagining is a single unit (OK - PSU, Pi and Speaker) that is very easy to set up (changing location would just be a change to the internet WiFi, and it would work stand alone with no Internet).

A local display would require quite a lot of extra equipment. keyboard, mouse (maybe even the display itself).

My current GTV Chromecast and Bluetooth speaker provide better options.

Moode is rather nice, and I was requesting a viable portable option, (currently I have a small system in my kitchen at my house that works brilliantly, Pi 0W + adafruit I2S Class D Amp, feeding a single KEF Egg, which is what set me thinking that something like that as a portable would great)
What @the_bertrum was suggesting was prolly a Touch display like a Pi 7" Touch.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-20-2023, 02:38 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: What @the_bertrum was suggesting was prolly a Touch display like a Pi 7" Touch.

Exactly that, with one of the cases that holds the screen, RPi, and DAC in one and you have a one box portable unit, just add power.
----------------
Robert
(05-21-2023, 09:39 AM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(05-20-2023, 02:38 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: What @the_bertrum was suggesting was prolly a Touch display like a Pi 7" Touch.

Exactly that, with one of the cases that holds the screen, RPi, and DAC in one and you have a one box portable unit, just add power.

While that would be a very nice system feeding a HiFi, I don't see there would be any advantage over using a laptop to play. (The improvement in sound would be lost in the hardware) The use model I'm thinking of is like a bluetooth speaker connected to a mobile. Which obviously works as is, if on a home network. (Basically my kitchen setup).