Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Multiple libraries / Separate libraries
My moode setup is roughly:
  • raspberry pi runs moode
  • two SMB shares contain audio
  • streaming goes through Topping DAC
  • control through web interface on computer and M.A.L.P on Android
The sound quality is excellent.

I do have one issue with my setup that I haven't really been able to find a clean solution for: I'd like to split my audio into two separate libraries, one for music and one for spoken word. Spoken word contains audiobooks and podcasts.

These are already represented as separate SMB shares, but they end up in the same library.

The main pain point with this is that in album view, for example, I see music and spoken word "albums" mixed while I'd like to be able to browse one or the other.

I feel using id3 genre tag is too limiting for this purpose.

A workaround I've used has been to add all music to a playlist and shuffling that. This does nothing for the album view though.

Are there other ways to address this setup issue?
Tag and Album views are specifically designed to consolidate all music sources into a single virtual Library organized as a hierarchy (Genre/Artist/Album/Songs) based on the tag values in the the song files.

There is a TODO list item to implement selectable "Library Filters" which would allow individual Library views to be created and saved based on search criteria from the Advanced Search page. For example in your case an Advanced Search where the Folder field is set to the share name of the SMB share containing your podcasts.

It's not a trivial enhancement though and finding the dev time to do it is not easy so maybe another dev will take on the challenge.

In the meantime try performing a quick search using the predefined filter below. Its described in Quick help.
Code:
folder YOUR_SMB_SHARE_NAME

Another option is to create a Genre tag with the value "Spoken Word" and another with the value "Podcast" in those files. This would allow you to easily browse in tag/album views.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
As a workaround, you could use "Advanced search" in the Library to limit the view to one of the source folders (using the "Folder" filter field). In order to switch between music and spoken word you would just have to change that field.

I regularly use such a filter to make the Library show only my main music collection while still being able to access the rest (from other folders) if I want to. Moode remembers the current search settings after a reboot. Even the random play (star button) function respects the filter: Random tracks are drawn only from the filtered subset.

Regards
Jens