Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

No sound on some tracks
Yo!

I've noticed a weird thing where certain tracks play with no sound. Only a handful of songs, spread across various albums, mostly stuff that i've had for a while. When i come across a track like this, I check it by playing the file in VLC which always (so far) results in it playing with sound as expected. Therefore i think its an MPD issue, not a file corruption.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
(06-03-2023, 10:51 PM)soundchippy Wrote: Yo!

I've noticed a weird thing where certain tracks play with no sound. Only a handful of songs, spread across various albums, mostly stuff that i've had for a while. When i come across a track like this, I check it by playing the file in VLC which always (so far) results in it playing with sound as expected. Therefore i think its an MPD issue, not a file corruption.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi,

few things may be obvious to you, but better be clear:

so, in an album, whaterver it is, one, or maybe two tracks don't play, right?

could you arrange the whole album on a file-sharing site, and provide the links to it to me, @Tim Curtis and @TheOldPresbyope, some one among us will have a look (well...) at them, and see what may be wrong.

Meanwhile you can have a look at MPD's own log: /var/log/mpd/log after having "played" one such a song, there could be some hints already there...
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. See below for responses...

Quote:so, in an album, whaterver it is, one, or maybe two tracks don't play, right?
Yes, that's correct

Quote:could you arrange the whole album on a file-sharing site, and provide the links to it to me, @Tim Curtis and @TheOldPresbyope, some one among us will have a look (well...) at them, and see what may be wrong.
See example here - tracks 2,4,14 and 15 don't audibly play via moode but work fine in vlc on my laptop

Quote:Meanwhile you can have a look at MPD's own log: /var/log/mpd/log after having "played" one such a song, there could be some hints already there...
The log just reports the song as having been played. No errors or other hints
system info...

8.3.3 2023-06-08

Linux: 6.1.21-v7+ #1642 | armv7l (32-bit) | RaspiOS: 11.2
Model: Pi-3B+ 1.3 1GB
Audio: HiFiBerry DAC+

example log output after "no sound" song played...

Jun 17 07:14 : player: played "USB/Cloud__/Music/Squarepusher/Ultravisitor/4 - Squarepusher - Andrei.mp3"

(06-17-2023, 10:39 AM)soundchippy Wrote: Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. See below for responses...

Quote:so, in an album, whaterver it is, one, or maybe two tracks don't play, right?
Yes, that's correct

Quote:could you arrange the whole album on a file-sharing site, and provide the links to it to me, @Tim Curtis and @TheOldPresbyope, some one among us will have a look (well...) at them, and see what may be wrong.
See example here - tracks 2,4,14 and 15 don't audibly play via moode but work fine in vlc on my laptop

Quote:Meanwhile you can have a look at MPD's own log: /var/log/mpd/log after having "played" one such a song, there could be some hints already there...
The log just reports the song as having been played. No errors or other hints

The download service at the link you provided requires that an account be created. You will need to upload the test files to a service that allows free, anonymous downloads.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Quote:The download service at the link you provided requires that an account be created. You will need to upload the test files to a service that allows free, anonymous downloads.

You don't need an account. Although you do need the encryption key, i'll pm it to you now
All the files play fine on my end.

Here is track 15

Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
        Also here, all tracks play fine with sound... I tried them all with moOde, VLC, Deadbeef, and Audacity. They play everywhere.
I forgot to look what moOde and / or my DAC did show as bit-depth / sample-rate, will try again later or tomorrow, anyway Deadbeef and VLC see them as MP3, 44100, 32bit, 320kbps, stereo, and Audacity shows 24 bit... (probably the players pad the bitdepth, and so will do my moOde, as my DAC does not support 24 bit, just 16 or 32...)

One thing I wanted to try was the volume level, an I can see that the tracks you notice not producing sound are actually the only 4 at less than half the amplitude (see attached Audacity screenshots). The other tracks are louder, very loud, also with a lot of clipping...

Try listening them again, in a quieter environment, or with headphones.
Thank you both for checking
Thank you both for checking