Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

music in several rooms?
Hello all, 

I'm the owner of a small beer bar and have used moodeaudio with a hifiberry amp+ with great success from the start 2,5 years ago. 
We'd now like to have some extra sound (ideally, an extra pair of speakers) in the smaller room next to the main one, since the people sitting there down hear much. 

I was wondering if that was somehow possible with 2 sets of raspberry+hifiberry both running on moode. I see that there is a bluetooth speaker option and was wondering if it could be used to play at the same time the same tracks. 

Any other possibility is welcome!

Thanks,
(10-16-2018, 07:39 PM)ddden Wrote: Hello all, 

I'm the owner of a small beer bar and have used moodeaudio with a hifiberry amp+ with great success from the start 2,5 years ago. 
We'd now like to have some extra sound (ideally, an extra pair of speakers) in the smaller room next to the main one, since the people sitting there down hear much. 

I was wondering if that was somehow possible with 2 sets of raspberry+hifiberry both running on moode. I see that there is a bluetooth speaker option and was wondering if it could be used to play at the same time the same tracks. 

Thanks,

Yes this is possible with moode using the squeezelite renderer function.
You turn on the squeezelite renders on each moode player.
You install the squeezebox server (aka Logitech Media Server) somewhere (I have another pi beside my router acting as a fileserver, squeezebox server, pihole, print server etc but you could use a pc)
You access your music via squeezebox and send it to your moode pi's.

It can also be achieved using airplay and iTunes.
(10-16-2018, 10:04 PM)FizzyTea Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 07:39 PM)ddden Wrote: Hello all, 

Thanks,

Yes this is possible with moode using the squeezelite renderer function.
You turn on the squeezelite renders on each moode player.
You install the squeezebox server (aka Logitech Media Server) somewhere (I have another pi beside my router acting as a fileserver, squeezebox server, pihole, print server etc but you could use a pc)
You access your music via squeezebox and send it to your moode pi's.

It can also be achieved using airplay and iTunes.

Thanks for the reply ! 
Good to know it is possible !
I forgot to mention that we actually use airplay / Apple Music from an iPad to play most of the music, beside some files stored on an NFS local server. 

But you already mentioned it is also possible via airplay!

How would it then work? I still have to turn on squeezelite on all of the units and I'll then see an airplay device on the iPad that will actually represent both moode boxes?
iTunes already supports synchronized streaming to multiple devices so you only need to have the Airplay receiver turned on on each moOde device. Then in iTunes you select both devices from the Airplay list and music will be streamed in sync to both of them.

The second Pi has to have its own unique host and renderer names. For example moode2, Moode2 Airplay, Moode2 Bluetooth etc.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-17-2018, 11:12 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: iTunes already supports synchronized streaming to multiple devices so you only need to have the Airplay receiver turned on on each moOde device. Then in iTunes you select both devices from the Airplay list and music will be streamed in sync to both of them.

The second Pi has to have its own unique host and renderer names. For example moode2, Moode2 Airplay, Moode2 Bluetooth etc.

Thanks for your input Tim. 

The issue is that I play from an iPad that can't stream on both devices at the same time... I do have an airport extreme where both moode systems are connected though. It might work through this one ?
It would need to be iTunes on OS X so something like a MacBook Air etc.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
OK..

while going through shairport thread, I read that it could potentially be done with forked-daapd:

Using this feature, forked-daapd can act as an AirPlay multiroom “router”: You can have an AirPlay source (e.g. your iPhone) send audio Shairport-sync, which forwards it to forked-daapd through the pipe, which then plays it on whatever speakers you have selected (through Remote).

(source: https://ejurgensen.github.io/forked-daap...esspeakers)

Could that be a feature request ? Smile
(10-28-2018, 06:17 PM)ddden Wrote: OK..

while going through shairport thread, I read that it could potentially be done with forked-daapd:

Using this feature, forked-daapd can act as an AirPlay multiroom “router”: You can have an AirPlay source (e.g. your iPhone) send audio Shairport-sync, which forwards it to forked-daapd through the pipe, which then plays it on whatever speakers you have selected (through Remote).

(Devil's advocate) Possible interpretation of your request: using a free-of-charge application alongside the beer and the associated snacks for personal monetary benefit.

(no 'Devil' connotation) Diagram of the 'traditional' multi-room music set-up:
- music source -> multi-speaker output amplifier -> speakers
- music source -> regular amplifier -> two 4 Ohm speakers connected in a serial way OR two 8 Ohm speakers connected in parallel
- music source -> multi output pre-amplifier or mixer -> X number of amps driving X number of speakers

Please don't be cross with me...

...on the flip side, such a feature could be another star feature of the already brilliant player...  Wink
(10-29-2018, 07:23 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:

(Devil's advocate) Possible interpretation of your request: using a free-of-charge application alongside the beer and the associated snacks for personal monetary benefit.

(no 'Devil' connotation) Diagram of the 'traditional' multi-room music set-up:
- music source -> multi-speaker output amplifier -> speakers
- music source -> regular amplifier -> two 4 Ohm speakers connected in a serial way OR two 8 Ohm speakers connected in parallel
- music source -> multi output pre-amplifier or mixer -> X number of amps driving X number of speakers

Please don't be cross with me...

...on the flip side, such a feature could be another star feature of the already brilliant player...  Wink
You have a point.. Smile

But if I understand correctly, it would also mean that you could have the features offered by airplay 2 (multiroom), not available yet via shairport, and apparently not before somebody reverse engineers airplay 2, which is not guaranteed to happen. 

Of course you don't need to believe what I say, but I truly like Moode and playing music with a raspberry pi and small Amp. We have a small bar open once a week as a hobby and every time I can show that setup to a curious customer, I do it Smile

I'll also check the following: 

Thanks !

I'm using forked-daapd and shairport-sync in this way and it works great. You could install Moode on your 2nd Pi+DAC, or if it's truly secondary and you're just trying to get a synced airplay receiver you can save some overhead and just go with Raspbian Stretch Lite and install Shairport-Sync. The thing is you also need that middle man device to act as an Airplay router, but it doesn't need a DAC or anything connected, just to be on the network. My setup is like this:
  • Pi3 - connected via ethernet -- running forked-daapd + shairport-sync -- streaming to...
  • shairport-sync / airplay endpoints (via pogoplug, or pi zero w, or airfoil speakers,  or Airport Express)
Forked-daapd creates a library and scans a directory, so it can also read your NFS share (like Moode) and let you choose and cast music from your middle man device to your endpoints via a newish very clean web interface. 

In case you can't tell, I want Forked-Daapd and Moode to make beautiful babies. I'd love if Moode could output to airplay speakers al-la forked-daapd. I never bought into Logitech Media Server (squeeze ... light) etc, because I'm streaming from my Mac and iOS devices and I don't think the Apple and Squeeze are cross-compatible. 

If you can set Moode to output to a pipe (and I don't know, maybe you already can.. I'm new to Moode), then you could just installed Forked-Daapd on top and have it pick up the pipe automatically and broadcast to airplay endpoints.