Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Moode 4.1 on USB SSD
After successfully updating 4.0 to 4.1 via SSH on my 8 GB SD card (no problems at all), I became somewhat cocky and wanted moode running on an older 120 GB Samsung 840 SSD. After copying the SD card with win32 disk imager onto a win7 PC, I copied the image back onto the SSD (mounted in an ICY box IB-233 U3-B and connected via USB to PC or Raspi). First attempt with win32 disk imager: No success, Raspi 3B did not boot. Second attempt with etcher: Hurray!  Smile Boot time was comparable to SD card boot, moode 4.1 up and running and all previous settings from my 4.0 installation still there.

Currently I´m formatting the remaining 100 GB in a new FAT32 partition and going to copy my music library into this partition. To be continued...

Anyway: Big thanks to Tim and the entire team for the wonderful release. Moode is simply the best  Wink
(04-12-2018, 08:48 PM)Kikaha Wrote: After successfully updating 4.0 to 4.1 via SSH on my 8 GB SD card (no problems at all), I became somewhat cocky and wanted moode running on an older 120 GB Samsung 840 SSD. After copying the SD card with win32 disk imager onto a win7 PC, I copied the image back onto the SSD (mounted in an ICY box IB-233 U3-B and connected via USB to PC or Raspi). First attempt with win32 disk imager: No success, Raspi 3B did not boot. Second attempt with etcher: Hurray!  Smile Boot time was comparable to SD card boot, moode 4.1 up and running and all previous settings from my 4.0 installation still there.

Currently I´m formatting the remaining 100 GB in a new FAT32 partition and going to copy my music library into this partition. To be continued...

Anyway: Big thanks to Tim and the entire team for the wonderful release. Moode is simply the best  Wink

Hm. Formatting and copying the library went fine and everything was ok until I powered down in order to move the Raspi from my computer room to my living room where the HiFi is located. It will not boot now - I suppose it has something to do with the USB boot delay. Will further investigate tomorrow...  Huh
(04-12-2018, 09:39 PM)Kikaha Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 08:48 PM)Kikaha Wrote: After successfully updating 4.0 to 4.1 via SSH on my 8 GB SD card (no problems at all), I became somewhat cocky and wanted moode running on an older 120 GB Samsung 840 SSD. After copying the SD card with win32 disk imager onto a win7 PC, I copied the image back onto the SSD (mounted in an ICY box IB-233 U3-B and connected via USB to PC or Raspi). First attempt with win32 disk imager: No success, Raspi 3B did not boot. Second attempt with etcher: Hurray!  Smile Boot time was comparable to SD card boot, moode 4.1 up and running and all previous settings from my 4.0 installation still there.

Hm. Formatting and copying the library went fine and everything was ok until I powered down in order to move the Raspi from my computer room to my living room where the HiFi is located. It will not boot now - I suppose it has something to do with the USB boot delay. Will further investigate tomorrow...  Huh
A lot of tries later: In average 9 of 10 cases the raspi will not boot from SSD. I tried different power supplies, even different power points: In most cases the raspi won´t boot, but sometimes it does. Weird.

After some googling I found this page:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...&start=500

What I did then was to copy the entire /boot partition to a fresh SD card, put it into the raspi, connected the SSD via USB, powered up... et voilà: Raspi boots up immeditedly. Tests with several reboot or shutdown cycles were successful. So this seems to be it - at least for my equipment.

Pros and cons of this solution compared to the "pure SD card method":

+ Since the /boot partition is read only, I should get rid of the problem of damaged SD cards. My raspi turned out to be a true SD card killer during 2 years of operation
+ Boot time is approx. 20-30% faster
+ Moode UI is much more responsive

-  there will most probably be an additional step to perform after an in-place update - given that such an update will work at all for this configuration. I don´t have the faintest idea currently, but will find out when Tim releases the next update  Big Grin
- power consumption is of course higher (up to 4 W only for the SSD)

Next steps: Testing long-time stability of the entire system running moode 24/7 and testing of BT functionality. I will report...
(04-13-2018, 12:13 PM)Kikaha Wrote:

A lot of tries later: In average 9 of 10 cases the raspi will not boot from SSD. I tried different power supplies, even different power points: In most cases the raspi won´t boot, but sometimes it does. Weird.

What I did then was to copy the entire /boot partition to a fresh SD card, put it into the raspi, connected the SSD via USB, powered up... et voilà: Raspi boots up immeditedly. Tests with several reboot or shutdown cycles were successful. So this seems to be it - at least for my equipment.

+ Since the /boot partition is read only, I should get rid of the problem of damaged SD cards. My raspi turned out to be a true SD card killer during 2 years of operation

-  there will most probably be an additional step to perform after an in-place update - given that such an update will work at all for this configuration. I don´t have the faintest idea currently, but will find out when Tim releases the next update  Big Grin

Next steps: Testing long-time stability of the entire system running moode 24/7 and testing of BT functionality. I will report...

I just joined as I wanted to post this link

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio...des/msd.md

But it seems that the registration process delayed long enough for your post to be made.

The link may be useful anyway.

I believe the new 3B+ accepts the usb without any preparation.

ronnie
Question 
Hi guys,

what I did after preparing my RaspPi according to the link mentioned above by Ronnie (Man in a van):
1. Built MoOde 4.1 with the mosbuilder directly to a a USB stick (aka thumb drive)
2. Replaced the SD card by the USB stick and booted my RaspPi 3B with the USB stick
3. Configured MoOde 4.1 via web interface

My RaspPi is booting everytime directly from the USB stick and running as advertised as long as operated via the web interface.

Where I have problems is with using the above described system together with my 7" touchscreen. When I have installed the USB stick as boot device on my combined RaspPi/Touchscreen assembly, the behavior especially of the user interface gets quite shaky and booting the device from USB stick is sometimes no longer possible or leads to unpredictable reactions.

Has anybody an idea of how to circumvent these problems? Huh
Does MoOde write part of its operating data to a partition of the non-existing SD card? Huh Huh

Help would be much appreciated. Big Grin

Greetz from the northern coast
Det Smile
(04-13-2018, 01:04 PM)Schlauer Det Wrote: Hi guys,

what I did after preparing my RaspPi according to the link mentioned above by Ronnie (Man in a van):
1. Built MoOde 4.1 with the mosbuilder directly to a a USB stick (aka thumb drive)
2. Replaced the SD card by the USB stick and booted my RaspPi 3B with the USB stick
3. Configured MoOde 4.1 via web interface

My RaspPi is booting everytime directly from the USB stick and running as advertised as long as operated via the web interface.

Where I have problems is with using the above described system together with my 7" touchscreen. When I have installed the USB stick as boot device on my combined RaspPi/Touchscreen assembly, the behavior especially of the user interface gets quite shaky and booting the device from USB stick is sometimes no longer possible or leads to unpredictable reactions.

Has anybody an idea of how to circumvent these problems? Huh
Does MoOde write part of its operating data to a partition of the non-existing SD card? Huh Huh

Help would be much appreciated. Big Grin

Greetz from the northern coast
Det Smile
Hi Det,

what I experienced applying the same setting (USB thumb drive as boot/system drive plus 7" touch) was a very sluggish, unresponsive UI on the touch. A lot of googling gave me the impression that the overall performance strongly depends on the thumb drive. Some work better, some worse, some even not at all. If I were you I tried 2 things:

a) a high quality thumb drive as boot/system drive w/o SD-card
b) same setting with (new, at least freshly formatted) SD card inserted on which is a copy of the /boot partition from the thumb drive

Regards, Jörg
(04-13-2018, 12:13 PM)Kikaha Wrote:

Update: Running Moode now 24/7 for 10 days now. No problems at all (despite this nasty BT bug - see here: http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=76 - but this has nothing to do with Moode IMHO).
Regards
Jörg