Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Allo Boss and Piano Driver 24 bit Noise
Could Allo advise when updated drivers with a fix for the 24K sample rate "white" noise problem will be available?

Regards,
Richard.
Probably is best if you ask ALLO directly...

Out of curiosity, can you elaborate on this '24K sample rate'...? It does not sound like a standard sample rate and maybe this is where the problem is...
Thanks for pointing out my error - Senior Moment. Meant 16 bit depth at 44.1 sampling rate. "Allo" seems to read this forum but I'll also post on the Allo Club forum at Computer Audiophile. This problem has been around for quite a while. Setting SOX to 44.1/32bit is the work around but it should be fixed or someday someone will blow a tweeter.
Are you using a Kali Recloker?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-27-2018, 03:13 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Are you using a Kali Recloker?

Hi Tim,

Yes, I'm using the Kali.

You first identified the problem back in February on the DIY Audio forum:

Quote:
I decided to test the 4.14.22 kernel fixes to 24 bit audio with a Kali Reclocker in the audio chain and I'm getting white noise at 24 bits :-0

Here are the the tests:

Kernel 4.14.22
- Piano + Kali = white noise at 24 bits
- Piano w/o Kali = OK all bit depths
- Other HAT DAC's w/o Kali = OK all bit depths

And there was an interesting post and link by rhizomusicosmos in reply:

Looking at https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/2365 it appears the symptom for the clock incompatibility was "stuttering" not noise. HiassofT apparently modified the drivers for the DAC+ Pro and the Allo Boss to fallback to 32 bit.

Now at Kernel 4.14.76-V7+ in 4.3 there has been no solution from either Allo or the Kernel developers.

The SOX work-around is fine but it would be nice to have it fixed. Maybe you can take it up again with Allo?

Regards,
Richard.
Ive already reported the "Kali 24 bit incompatibility w/4.14.y kernels" issue to Allo so feel free to devote your own time and effort to "take it up with them again".
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-28-2018, 01:32 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Ive already reported the "Kali 24 bit incompatibility w/4.14.y kernels" issue to Allo so feel free to devote your own time and effort to "take it up with them again".

I'll post the question on the Allo forum at Computer Audiophile and report any response.