Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Copy files to local folder
Managed to fire this up on an old pi zero yesterday, and got just about everything working, even get music streaming from my NAS. However, the point of the exercise was portability - so I wanted to copy 40GB or so of music to the SD card, but failed. Main issue seems to be permissions as far as i can tell. I can see the SDCARD folder, but pi cannot drop files in there, I created a music folder in the pi home directory and tried changing the mpd.conf to point to this new folder for the music_directory, but that failed. Read a thread that suggested a symlink from the original folder the mpd.conf file pointed at to my pi's home folder, but that failed as well. Tried adding the pi user to the mpg group but once again a permissions issue. Though this would be the easy bit...but no. Am I missing something obvious?
What utility or method are u using to perform the copy?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-01-2018, 06:30 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: What utility or method are u using to perform the copy?

WinSCP - logged on as the pi user
I'm not familiar with that utility.

It would be helpful though if you could post any error messages that appear when you try to copy files. If another Forum member has experience with WinSCP they might be able to help out.

I'd also recommend reverting any changes made to /etc/mpd.conf, the mpd group or any re-symlinking of things. That will make it much more difficult to troubleshoot.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-01-2018, 08:02 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I'm not familiar with that utility.

It would be helpful though if you could post any error messages that appear when you try to copy files. If another Forum member has experience with WinSCP they might be able to help out.

I'd also recommend reverting any changes made to /etc/mpd.conf, the mpd group or any re-symlinking of things. That will make it much more difficult to troubleshoot.

WinSCP is like Filezilla , easy way to drag and drop from local to remote.  Have already reverted the mpd.con (mpd failed to start anyway otherwise), and the symlink failed as the pi user did not have the right permission. However, (he says somewhat sheepishly), do it all via sudo and then /mnt/SDCARD is writable and thus it all works. (well I can SCP to the pi folder then move than as sudo which is a tad all round the houses, but once i figure out how to connect directly to my NAS from a putyy connection to the pi, I can skip the that double copy).
/mnt/SDCARD is owned by root.

scp is logging in as a linux user and since you are using pi, it cannot access /mnt/SDCARD/

browsing to the moode audio device as a samba share has an exposed share called SDCard that you can drag and drop the files to.

If you really want to use winscp instead, I would suggest installing your key into /root/.ssh/authorized_files and enabling root login without password in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. Then you will be able to use winscp to login as the root user with a key and copy files that way.