Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Pi Zero remote upgrade (no access to Sdcard)
Hi everyone!

A while back i did a radio retrofit integrating moodeaudio which still runs like magic.

Visiting the place where the radio is placed, i felt i needed to update moodeaudio to get the latest version. It's running 6.4.2 from 2020-02-12.

I'm hoping this will solve the fact that the bluetooth function works for the first connection but then gets a bit kranky.

The thing is i was not really precise when doing that retrofit and i don't think i can take the radio apart without breaking a couple of stuff.

Is there any way (even hacky) to upgrade to moodeaudio 8 via ssh or something?

i've been dailydriving linux for over 10 years now so i'm more than comfortable with command line.

welcoming any idea to make this work!

Best regards,
(07-18-2023, 10:47 PM)beankylla Wrote: Hi everyone!

A while back i did a radio retrofit integrating moodeaudio which still runs like magic.

Visiting the place where the radio is placed, i felt i needed to update moodeaudio to get the latest version. It's running 6.4.2 from 2020-02-12.

I'm hoping this will solve the fact that the bluetooth function works for the first connection but then gets a bit kranky.

The thing is i was not really precise when doing that retrofit and i don't think i can take the radio apart without breaking a couple of stuff.

Is there any way (even hacky) to upgrade to moodeaudio 8 via ssh or something?

i've been dailydriving linux for over 10 years now so i'm more than comfortable with command line.

welcoming any idea to make this work!

Best regards,

Hi,

I am going to assume a few things here, but since they have worked for me in the (vary far) past, they could theoretically work for you as well.
I do not think such an old version has the ability to update OTA, but maybe manually updating the relevant scripts involved, and invoking them, again manually, could work.
If not, the only alternative I see is the following (you'd need a PC running Linux for the scp path to work without the need for Samba...)

1. get the 8.3.3 image on the PC from which you will SSH with the Pi
2. connect the PC to the Pi via SSH
3. from the Pi, dd' the image to the SD card (cannot remember the syntax, but it should be something like "sudo dd -i you@yourLinuxBox:/path/to/the/image -o /dev/sda", it will then ask for your password to the PC to get the image)

Since everything is running from memory now (the ssh daemon and the dd command) there should be no restriction. Once dd finishes you wouldn't possibly be able to invoke the reboot command; but at this point you could just power-off and back on...

Bare in mind there is still the possibility that all of the above is pure nonsense... see if there is a less painful solution :-)