Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Can't connect to NAS
(12-06-2018, 04:12 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The connect string would be how you would manually connect to the NAS from your PC.

On Mac its done using Finder, Go, Connect to server. Then you type in server/share, maybe a userid and password or as in my case just select Guest and no password.

On Windows you would use File Manager but I don't know what the menu picks are...

Thanks for getting back to me Tim.  In Windows 10 I created the connection to the music folder on my NAS - which coincidentally is also called 'NAS' on my network - by entering '\\NAS\music' into the address bar on File Explorer, as per the first image I attached in my last post.

The first time I did this a dialog box appeared asking for the user name and password for the NAS and I opted to complete this with my admin credentials for the NAS, and this info is now listed within Credential Manager.  

I have absolutely no issues in connecting to the NAS from any PC running windows, so I'm at a loss at what's going on here.  I've attached another image to this post, relating to the status of this SMB connection.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Your screen shot of NAS config showed NAS/music but the screen shot of Get-SmbConnection shows that the share name is Music with an uppercase M.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(12-06-2018, 01:56 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Your screen shot of NAS config showed NAS/music but the screen shot of Get-SmbConnection shows that the share name is Music with an uppercase M.

Thanks for the suggestion Tim, but sadly no joy - I’m still getting that mount error.  Could the fact that I’ve configured the NAS so that the minimum SMB protocol is set to: ‘SMB2 and Large MTU’ possibly cause this?
Bingo!! I've just changed the first part of the mount flag from 'vers=1.0' to 'vers=3.0' and it now works if I use the IP address for the NAS rather than its network name. Yippee!! Thanks for your help Tim.
Nice :-)
Enjoy the Music!
(12-06-2018, 02:48 PM)Zigzag Wrote: Bingo!! I've just changed the first part of the mount flag from 'vers=1.0' to 'vers=3.0' and it now works if I use the IP address for the NAS rather than its network name.  Yippee!! Thanks for your help Tim.

Curious. Your problem forced me to boot into Win10 ("the other OS" in my house). I set up a share on my Win10 host. Smb-GetConnection reports the same "3.1.1" dialect.

I was able to mount the share in moOde without changing from the default "vers=1.0" !?!

---

As an aside-

The error messages in the moode.log output you posted showed that moOde couldn't reach your server by hostname. When that happens the mount process quits.Reporting the moode.log output you got trying to access the share  by IP address would have been informative.

Chasing down SMB connection problems is a real challenge but I remember the bad old days chasing down NFS connection problems at work where the network administrators always seemed too busy to return calls. Yuck.

Regards,
Kent
(12-06-2018, 05:03 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 02:48 PM)Zigzag Wrote: Bingo!! I've just changed the first part of the mount flag from 'vers=1.0' to 'vers=3.0' and it now works if I use the IP address for the NAS rather than its network name.  Yippee!! Thanks for your help Tim.

Curious. Your problem forced me to boot into Win10 ("the other OS" in my house). I set up a share on my Win10 host. Smb-GetConnection reports the same "3.1.1" dialect.

I was able to mount the share in moOde without changing from the default "vers=1.0" !?!

---

As an aside-

The error messages in the moode.log output you posted showed that moOde couldn't reach your server by hostname. When that happens the mount process quits.Reporting the moode.log output you got trying to access the share  by IP address would have been informative.

Chasing down SMB connection problems is a real challenge but I remember the bad old days chasing down NFS connection problems at work where the network administrators always seemed too busy to return calls. Yuck.

Regards,
Kent

Interesting Kent, thanks for your post.

I've done a bit more digging into this issue. You may recall me saying in an earlier post to Tim that I had configured the NAS so that the minimum SMB protocol was set to: ‘SMB2 and Large MTU’.  As a test I changed that to 'SMB1' and after the SMB service restarted I went back into MoOde and tried creating another NAS source, like you, leaving the mount flag unchanged at the default value of 1, and low and behold that test connection worked! Albeit, as before only when using an IP address for my NAS - some code clearly dislikes my NAS having 'NAS' as a network name.

Incidentally, as the SMB1 protocol is now considered to be outdated and insecure, I've since changed the minimum SMB protocol back to ‘SMB2 and Large MTU' and going forwards, if needs be, personally I will continue to set the mount flag in MoOde to '3.0
Hi Mooders.

I have the same problem connecting to my Synology NAS.

I do however have SMB3 enabled as I had this problem when I installed Volumio. (So I know my set-up works with Volumio. RPi/DAC and NAS.)

When I try to connect I get:
20181213 060614 wrk_sourcemount(): Mount error: (Couldn't chdir to /mnt/NAS/a2: No such file or directory)

I cannot connect via NFS either. 

Also when I try to create a NAS source I get nothing when I hit the scan button.

Release Information

• Release: 4.3 2018-09-27 

• Update: (2018-10-19)
Any ideas are gratefully received. I am trying to evaluate Moode against Volumio (which works well)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-13-2018, 05:23 AM)julessilver Wrote: Hi Mooders.

I have the same problem connecting to my Synology NAS.

I do however have SMB3 enabled as I had this problem when I installed Volumio. (So I know my set-up works with Volumio. RPi/DAC and NAS.)

When I try to connect I get:
20181213 060614 wrk_sourcemount(): Mount error: (Couldn't chdir to /mnt/NAS/a2: No such file or directory)

I cannot connect via NFS either. 

Also when I try to create a NAS source I get nothing when I hit the scan button.

Release Information
  • Release: 4.3 2018-09-27 

• Update: (2018-10-19)
Any ideas are gratefully received. I am trying to evaluate Moode against Volumio (which works well)

There's something deeply wrong here. The mountpoint /mnt/NAS/a2 should have been created and the NAS mounted to it before the attempt to chdir to it. An SMB credentials problem would be announced differenty.

Sorry, I can't help before tomorrow but just a comment: deep within their code bases, Volumio and moOde use the same command "smbtree -N -b" to discover SMB servers on the LAN so moOde should have discovered your NAS if Volumio did.

Regards,
Kent
1. Remove the NAS config
2. Verify via SSH that there is no subdirectories under /mnt/NAS and if there is then remove it
3. UPGRADE to moOde 4.4
4. Recreate the NAS config and specify Vers=3.0 (or whatever ver matches whats running on the NAS) in the mount flags
Enjoy the Music!