Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

wavpack dsd compression
Recent versions of wavpack are able to compress dsd files, usually better than 50%.
The space saving is very welcome. When I try to play such files in Moode, however,
they seem to play fine for about a minute, before kind of falling apart. Maybe the
Raspberry Pi is not powerful enough to decompress the files and send them via DOP
to the DAC? Or are there any settings I should adjust? I'm using an Allo DigiOne
(not the latest Signature version). Has anybody else tried this?

-- Jürgen
moOde version?
What model Pi?
DSD64?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-20-2018, 01:22 PM)koslowj Wrote: Recent versions of wavpack are able to compress dsd files, usually better than 50%.
The space saving is very welcome.  When I try to play such files in Moode, however,
they seem to play fine for about a minute, before kind of falling apart.  Maybe the
Raspberry Pi is not powerful enough to decompress the files and send them via DOP
to the DAC?  Or are there any settings I should adjust?  I'm using an Allo DigiOne
(not the latest Signature version). Has anybody else tried this?

-- Jürgen

Hi, Jürgen

I wasn't aware of this feature of wavpack, thanks.

I have only a few demo DSD tracks but I just tried compressing a DSD128 track with wavpack and playing it back on my moOde r44(beta) via wireless headphones (ASUS USB-BT adapter and Sennheiser headphones). The 3:21-minute track plays fine.

During playback of the WV file on my RPi3B+, about 55% total of two CPUs is consumed, while the others are nearly idle. This is essentially the same as the 55% consumed on one CPU playing the DSD file itself. Both consume 10x greater CPU than playing the WAV version. 

Granted, this isn't the same test as yours since I'm not passing the stream via DOP to a DAC. What kind of CPU usage are you seeing when you playback your tracks? Memory usage?

I started with "Derek Jones - Run With Me - 02 - The Nearness of You - DSD128.dsf" downloaded from Blue Coast Music. It's 283+MB uncompressed vs 156+MB compressed.

Regards,
Kent

PS - for others who may be interested, the current version of wavpack installed from sources is 5.1.0. The version I installed on my Linux Mint 18.3 box from the LM repo is 4.75.2 and is too old to include DSD support.
(11-20-2018, 01:33 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: moOde version?
What model Pi?
DSD64?

moOde 4.3, latest version
Pi BCM2835, revision a02082
DSD 64

I have a Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 which does not accept native DSD, but DOP works fine.

-- Jürgen
Pi3B should have plenty of horsepower to handle the task.

What happens when you set DoP to No in MPD config?

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-20-2018, 06:04 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Pi3B should have plenty of horsepower to handle the task.

What happens when you set DoP to No in MPD config?

-Tim

OK, I realize my mistake: I had forgotten that I had asked for resampling to 192 kHz.
so DOP was effectively turned off. So the compressed wavpack files were first
resampled to 88.2 kHz, and then to 192 kHz... Turning off the resampling to 192 kHz
resulted in no sound, because now DOP was active. Turning that off as well,
produced nice music as desired, so far w/o problems. Sorry for the false alarm!

-- Jürgen