Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Total newbie, totally lost
(12-29-2018, 07:13 AM)HemiRick Wrote: All you need to control Moode and play music is your phone, open a web browser, goto http://whatever the Digiones IP address is...and Moode will come up.

Or moode.local if using iOS. After the interface comes up tap the little mv button in the top right corner  and select configuration, then sources from the dialog that pops up. Once there tap the “update” mpd database button and you’ll see a little indeterminate wait icon (two circling arrows) in the music tab at the bottom of the screen, this is to show that mpd is still scanning your library. After that’s done tap the “update” album cover thumbnail cache button. I usually play a radio station and do something else while this is going on.

As with anything there is some learning curve involved. We’ve talked a bit about streamlining the after install configuration and I’d definitely like to make things simpler wherever possible but people also want features and options and that leads to complexity.

Once you have access to the UI I’d be interested in hearing where you run into trouble and how you think the configuration could be made easier for novice users.
Let's not overlook the possibility that the moOde player has come up in AP mode. Then the connection process is a bit more complicated. Read the setup.txt file. https://github.com/moode-player/moode/bl.../setup.txt

It should be noted that some kind of player discovery and configuration process must take place whether using moOde, Volumio, or RuneAudio.

Regards,
Kent
Can the player be left on 24/7?
Yes the Linux operating system is very stable and the Pi is running very low load.
Good evening,

I'd like to jump in here on behalf of @01 svtL as I've tried in vain to help him today and it appears he has a corrupt Moode Player. I say that because after an exhaustive check of all relevant settings, he simply gets strange freeze-ups when trying to play a track.

He is using MPD in local playback mode, with a thumb drive attached and scanned in, but attempting to play a track from that library causes a crash and what I consider a tell-tale sign of a corrupted image, a white UI screen.

He can only recover from the white screen with a full power cycle reboot.

So, assuming I'm right and he needs to start with a fresh image, is there anything else anyone can contribute with regard specifically to the Allo DigiOne Signature? Is the driver known to be functioning right in Moode, and are there any other concerns or known issues? I know someone else that uses the non-Signature version of that unit and Moode with zero problems, he loves it.

The other unknown for me is what does Allo ship in terms of microSD card, is it a known quality brand such as SanDisk?

Thanks in advance and please don't shoot the messenger, I'm trying to help a very frustrated newcomer and he either has a corrupt image, or defective hardware, or both.

I should certainly add that all previous replies to the OP here were perfectly reasonable and helpful, but he is a complete newcomer to Raspberry Pi.

Mike
(01-12-2019, 05:19 AM)MikeyFresh Wrote: Good evening,

I'd like to jump in here on behalf of @01 svtL as I've tried in vain to help him today and it appears he has a corrupt Moode Player. I say that because after an exhaustive check of all relevant settings, he simply gets strange freeze-ups when trying to play a track.

He is using MPD in local playback mode, with a thumb drive attached and scanned in, but attempting to play a track from that library causes a crash and what I consider a tell-tale sign of a corrupted image, a white UI screen.

He can only recover from the white screen with a full power cycle reboot.

So, assuming I'm right and he needs to start with a fresh image, is there anything else anyone can contribute with regard specifically to the Allo DigiOne Signature? Is the driver known to be functioning right in Moode, and are there any other concerns or known issues? I know someone else that uses the non-Signature version of that unit and Moode with zero problems, he loves it.

The other unknown for me is what does Allo ship in terms of microSD card, is it a known quality brand such as SanDisk?

Thanks in advance and please don't shoot the messenger, I'm trying to help a very frustrated newcomer and he either has a corrupt image, or defective hardware, or both.

I should certainly add that all previous replies to the OP here were perfectly reasonable and helpful, but he is a complete newcomer to Raspberry Pi.

Mike

Hi, Mike.

Good of you to step up.

If MPD stops for some reason, you'll get a white screen. From your description, moOde boots up and runs. If MPD is stopping when it tries to play a track, then I'd first suspect the Allo subsystem. Is the Allo driver selected, is it the correct version for the kernel installed with moOde, etc.

A quick test of the install is to go back to the default configuration. In the Audio config panel, set the I2S device to "None" and in the MPD Config panel, be sure the Device type is set to "On-board audio device" (remembering to "Save" if you change it). Then reboot. It should be possible to select and play tracks from the playlist even if there is no physical output device connected to the RPi. If this works, then the problem is the Allo subsystem and/or its configuration. If it doesn't then I'd say, yeah, reinstall.

I have no knowledge of the Allo products and drivers so can't comment further.

Regards,
Kent
(01-12-2019, 03:08 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Hi, Mike.

Good of you to step up.

If MPD stops for some reason, you'll get a white screen. From your description, moOde boots up and runs. If MPD is stopping when it tries to play a track, then I'd first suspect the Allo subsystem. Is the Allo driver selected, is it the correct version for the kernel installed with moOde, etc.

A quick test of the install is to go back to the default configuration. In the Audio config panel, set the I2S device to "None" and in the MPD Config panel, be sure the Device type is set to "On-board audio device" (remembering to "Save" if you change it). Then reboot. It should be possible to select and play tracks from the playlist even if there is no physical output device connected to the RPi. If this works, then the problem is the Allo subsystem and/or its configuration. If it doesn't then I'd say, yeah, reinstall.

I have no knowledge of the Allo products and drivers so can't comment further.

Regards,
Kent

Thank you sir, thank makes perfect sense. Safe to say he could even plug headphones into the RPi3's 3.5mm jack (using the software volume control to make sure not to blast his ears) and then actually listen to the music in the above test?
Yep. I often do this when first setting up or when testing some feature.
Just a quick follow-up on this, the OP did perform the test of the On-board audio as output device and it worked fine, both with radio stations and with his own thumb drive based scanned in tracks as MPD library.

He also then bought another mSD card and flashed a fresh 4.4 image onto it, and after configuration the same exact problems occurred with using the I²S output, at which point it seems safe to point the finger at a defective Allo DigiOne Signature HAT.

The OP has promised to follow-up once he receives a replacement, in the meantime thanks again for the troubleshooting suggestions.