Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Unable to connect to samba share
(11-30-2018, 10:05 AM)UpsiUps Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 09:54 AM)Riddik Wrote: Hi
OK i have tried to log into the MOode source screen with userID Guest and no password and this didn't work.
I have used Putty to SSH into the MOode Player and tried to ping my ODROIDXU4 (IP address 192.168.1.8 which i made static on my router) and this had replied fine.

I can move data between all PC's Windows & Linux to this share using User jason & Password jason

I have indeed been using (OMV) through its Web-based interface, Perhaps i need to change the settings of the share within OMV to "Public - No" as Kent has suggested?

IMHO : This looks like a DNS error. Even if ping is working, doesn't mean that other could resolve the name. Also try the full qualified name e.g. ODROIDXU4.home.org - whatever your domain is. Or you try ODROIDXU4.local when you also use Zeroconfig in your environmenmt , the SMB might use this a s advertizing.

@Riddik

I agree with @UpsiUps , this looks like a DNS error. 

Perhaps I'm reading too much (or too little) into what you've written.

Did you ping the hostname ODROIDXU4 or the IP address 192.168.1.8? If you ping'ed the IP address, then the test proves little. If you pinged ODROIDXU4, did the response include the correct IP address?

E.g., ping'ing one of my moOde players (moodeLR) from my Linux laptop as user tester:

Code:
tester@T520 ~ $ ping moodelr
PING moodeLR.fios-router.home (192.168.1.184) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.184: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=2.59 ms

The first line of the response tells me that the local DNS service on my Verizon FiOS router has mapped the hostname moodelr into the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) moodeLR.fios-router.home and that it has found the IP address 192.168.1.184 in its mapping table. The names are case-insensitive, by the way. Also, my router maps all unqualified hostnames into its local domain .fios-router.home; your router may do something different.

The second line of the response tells me that ping was able to establish a round-trip connection between my laptop and the moOde player.

When you ping from your Linux system and from your moOde player do you get the same results, e.g., does ping return the same FQDN and IP address?

Had I mispelled the hostname, moode-lr, say, my local DNS wouldn't recognize it as a member of its local domain and kicked the DNS request up to my ISP's DNS service. It happens that the Verizon DNS knows moode-lr lives at 92.242.140.21!

As for permissions, I did not suggest changing them. My point was that any of the three permission levels available through the OMV interface will work with moOde assuming the correct credentials are used. You haven't yet gotten far enough in the mounting process to know if the credentials are correct.

Regards,
Kent
Hi, thx for your replies.
I did ping the ODROID using its IP address which I now understand wasn't helpful so I will try pinging it by its Hostname. Your have to excuse my lack of knowledge with this I'm trying to understand the DNS side as it's new to me..how do I find the full qualified name for my ODROIDXU4 to be able to correctly ping it? I'll focus on this first and post my findings.

Thanks
Jason
You would just need to ping the NAS's host name from the Pi.

Code:
ping ODROIDXU4

But this will only work if the WiFi adapter in your Pi was configured with the correct Gateway and DNS entries. 

Since its IP address is 192.168.1.8 the Gateway and primary DNS addresses should both be 192.168.1.1 which is the LAN address of your Router. Normally these addresses are automatically assigned by your Routers DHCP service except if you have assigned a static IP address in moOde or created a DHCP reservation in your Router. In these two cases your manually entered addresses would used.

Post a screen shot of moOde network config screen and also the output from the command below which will show the DNS address assigned to the WiFi adapter.

Code:
cat /etc/resolv.conf

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(11-30-2018, 06:13 PM)Riddik Wrote: Hi, thx for your replies.
I did ping the ODROID using its IP address which I now understand wasn't helpful so I will try pinging it by its Hostname. Your have to excuse my lack of knowledge with this I'm trying to understand the DNS side as it's new to me..how do I find the full qualified name for my ODROIDXU4 to be able to correctly ping it? I'll focus on this first and post my findings.

Thanks
Jason

Just enter this command and post the result

Code:
ping ODROIDXU4

Regards,
Kent
OK i have changed some settings on my router for some of my devices, I have given the ODROID a static IP address of 192.168.1.12, I have pinged my ODROID from my laptop which has replied and from moode player using its hostname which has failed. I have given moode player a static IP address of 192.168.1.8  

I have attached a couple of screenshots.

This is the output from cat /etc/resolv.conf

This is my network config screen

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi,

In your first screen shot ping returns "ping: ODROIDXU4: Name or service not found" which suggests a network issue.

Normally if name resolution is functioning properly on the network and ping is not able to resolve a host it will return "No address associated with hostname" for example:

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ ping TIM
ping: TIM: No address associated with hostname
pi@moode:~ $

You could try pinging various hosts and ip addresses on your network from the Pi to try and isolate the issue.

I would start with 
- Router host name
- the name or address of your laptop
- etc.

I would also examine the Router DHCP and WiFi logs to see if there is anything suspicious.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi

you could use a broadcast ping to see if you are able to ping any other comp on the network. In your case it would be :
Code:
ping 192.168.1.255

you could also do a
Code:
sudo ifconfig
to see the right network configuration. There should be a line like :
Code:
inet 192.168.1.nnn netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
where nnn is your IP Address.
Oh, some router don't use the Network-Adress (which would be in your case 192.168.1.1) Instead they are using .2. So if you get a 192.168.1.2 back in your broadcast ping, you could give that a try by editing the resolv.conf. ( If your router has a setup as"stealth mode" it will not response to any ping - saying that means that the broadcast might not bring back your router IP )
(11-30-2018, 02:49 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 10:05 AM)UpsiUps Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 09:54 AM)Riddik Wrote: Hi
OK i have tried to log into the MOode source screen with userID Guest and no password and this didn't work.
I have used Putty to SSH into the MOode Player and tried to ping my ODROIDXU4 (IP address 192.168.1.8 which i made static on my router) and this had replied fine.

I can move data between all PC's Windows & Linux to this share using User jason & Password jason

I have indeed been using (OMV) through its Web-based interface, Perhaps i need to change the settings of the share within OMV to "Public - No" as Kent has suggested?

IMHO : This looks like a DNS error. Even if ping is working, doesn't mean that other could resolve the name. Also try the full qualified name e.g. ODROIDXU4.home.org - whatever your domain is. Or you try ODROIDXU4.local when you also use Zeroconfig in your environmenmt , the SMB might use this a s advertizing.

@Riddik

I agree with @UpsiUps , this looks like a DNS error. 

Perhaps I'm reading too much (or too little) into what you've written.

Did you ping the hostname ODROIDXU4 or the IP address 192.168.1.8? If you ping'ed the IP address, then the test proves little. If you pinged ODROIDXU4, did the response include the correct IP address?

E.g., ping'ing one of my moOde players (moodeLR) from my Linux laptop as user tester:

Code:
tester@T520 ~ $ ping moodelr
PING moodeLR.fios-router.home (192.168.1.184) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.184: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=2.59 ms

The first line of the response tells me that the local DNS service on my Verizon FiOS router has mapped the hostname moodelr into the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) moodeLR.fios-router.home and that it has found the IP address 192.168.1.184 in its mapping table. The names are case-insensitive, by the way. Also, my router maps all unqualified hostnames into its local domain .fios-router.home; your router may do something different.

The second line of the response tells me that ping was able to establish a round-trip connection between my laptop and the moOde player.

When you ping from your Linux system and from your moOde player do you get the same results, e.g., does ping return the same FQDN and IP address?

Had I mispelled the hostname, moode-lr, say, my local DNS wouldn't recognize it as a member of its local domain and kicked the DNS request up to my ISP's DNS service. It happens that the Verizon DNS knows moode-lr lives at 92.242.140.21!

As for permissions, I did not suggest changing them. My point was that any of the three permission levels available through the OMV interface will work with moOde assuming the correct credentials are used. You haven't yet gotten far enough in the mounting process to know if the credentials are correct.

Regards,
Kent
Hi Kent, just a hint as I stumbled over your example: *.home is a "bad" setup as .home is an official domain outside your home. The definition is , that you use *.home.arpa for your home environment. This is a reservation and *.arpa will have no resolution outside your home. More information is here rfc8375 . Of course you could have some doubts, that the document is driven by NSA to get all the home Users in one place, but maybe that is much better than get visits from some Darknet Users Big Grin
@UpsiUps

Interesting point about TLD name clashes. However, 

1. The .home TLD was not my choice; that whole ".fios-router.home" name is the default setting in our FiOS Quantum Gateway router. Presumably Verizon implemented the default from RFC 7788. Yes, I could change it.
  2. RFC 8375 was written to correct RFC 7788 because of this clash with the new TLD name .home. It makes interesting use of the primordial .arpa TLD. I don't know if Verizon has had any plan to implement this RFC.
  3. It is my understanding that early this year ICANN voted to defer indefinitely the delegation of the TLDs .home, .mail, and .corp precisely because of the name-clash problem. "The introduction of any new domain name into the DNS at any level creates the potential for name collision [however] the New gTLD Program has brought renewed attention to this issue of queries for undelegated TLDs at the root level of the DNS because certain applied-for new TLD strings could be identical to name labels used in private networks." This decision involves full refund by ICANN of millions of dollars in application fees. Yikes.
For some time I've had thoughts about creating an inner network behind a bastion host with its own DNS, firewall, yada yada yada---using the Quantum Gateway only to get to the Internet. My significant other's cablebox/DVR and a few other appliances can stay in the original network so I don't screw up her service. 

Too many plans, not enough time!

Regards,
Kent
Hi
I decided to start a fresh, rebooted my router and enabled DHCP for all devices.
Reinstalled mOode and left it connected by Ethernet, tried adding source Samba share as before and it failed again.
I tried Installing Volumio to see if i would encounter the same problem but it has installed and connected to my Samba share and added all my music to its library without any problems?!?.
Just wanted to thank everyone for there time and input..i think for now i will leave be and just enjoy the music and come back to MOode and give it another go soon.
Thanks again
Jason