Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
My MoOde Sound Tweaks
(04-26-2019, 06:46 AM)Masticore Wrote: Hello fellow audiophiles,

first of all many thanks for all the information provided in this forum and for the wonderful moode-software provided by Tim! I am using moode for some years now and cannot think of any better budget-friendly, yet audiophile digital source!

Recently, I discovered and applied Edwards sound tweaks from github and as far as I can tell, can hear a difference for the better!

Regarding sound tweaks, I have 2 (noob?)questions, however:
1. Edward, do I have to apply your tweaks again after updating to a newer version of moode, e.g. from 5.0 to 5.1? Or will the tweaks remain intact druing updating?
2. I use a regulated linear power supply by Tomanek right now. However, it is plugged into the micro usb of the Pi. If I want to try out powering the Pi via GPIO – can I still use my HAT (it is the Audiophonics Digipi+/PiFi Digi+, a clone of the HifiBerry Digi+)?

Thank you very much in advance and best regards
Masticore

@Masticore

The tweaks are [seem to be] persistent between updates...they have been for me.

I have the Digi + Signature, I can't power the RPi from the Digi.  Otherwise you will have to figure out a way to get access to the pins while the Digi is sitting on them.
@Edward

Thank you very much for your reply!

Do you have the Allo DigiOne Signature or the HifiBerry Digi+? For the latter, I believe, can be powered directly through the board:
https://youtu.be/L83EEDbAMJI

Best regards
Masticore
(04-28-2019, 07:40 AM)Masticore Wrote: @Edward

Thank you very much for your reply!

Do you have the Allo DigiOne Signature or the HifiBerry Digi+? For the latter, I believe, can be powered directly through the board:
https://youtu.be/L83EEDbAMJI

Best regards
Masticore

I have both

The HifiBerry can power the RPi from the board, the DigiOne can not.

When I was using the HiFiberry I actually soldered a d/c connector to the board with an inch or so wire so I could mount the connector on the case.

Have fun
Ed
Hi Edward,

does this also work for the Sabre DAC
can use putty for this modification

thanks
How to verify tweaks survived after update ? @Edward
(05-14-2019, 12:11 PM)cereyanlimusiki Wrote: How to verify tweaks survived after update ? @Edward

Hi, surely your ears will tell you & if they can't you probably imagined the improvement in the first place?
(05-14-2019, 07:14 PM)grasshopper Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 12:11 PM)cereyanlimusiki Wrote: How to verify tweaks survived after update ? @Edward

Hi, surely your ears will tell you & if they can't you probably imagined the improvement in the first place?

I was looking for technical verification rather than senses  but thank for your suggestion anyway

I've never tried the tweaks but it appears they involve three files:
  • changes in the file: /boot/config.txt
  • creation of new file: /usr/local/sbin/sound.sh
  • a change in the file: /etc/rc.local
After an update you can verify that the /usr/local/sbin/sound.sh file still exists (with correct permissions) and the /boot/config.txt and /etc/rc.local files are still mod'ded.

If that is so, then the tweaks will be applied each time the system is booted, just as before the update.

Regards,
Kent
After altering the /boot/config.txt file my RPI (version 2B) wouldn't boot anymore...

(so I could not give you some log files...)
(06-05-2019, 02:02 PM)Vhond Wrote: After altering the /boot/config.txt file my RPI (version 2B) wouldn't boot anymore...

(so I could not give you some log files...)

The script does nothing in the /boot/config.txt file.

Not sure what altered the file.

Also if your RPI is not booting I don't think you will be able to get any log files from it. Not exactly sure what you did or what happened but nothing in the script effects booting or anything remotely connected to how the RPi boots.