Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Will not load Unresponsive
Hi Guys –

Please excuse the new bloke who has no idea about linix. I have changed from RunneAudio as I could not get it to work with HiFiBerry DAC + Pro XLR. I have many issues the major on is I can listen to nothing aside from the Stereo Test.

The programme keeps becoming unresponsive and I must keep turning the Pi off/on to reset it. I have lots of issues, but may we just start with getting some music

I have the HiFiBerry DAC + Pro XLR. I could only find HiFiBerry DAC + Pro. It is all connected via the network cord.

All seemed to install, but

https://github.com/moode-player/moode/bl.../setup.txt

Item 5. Ethernet Mode – I have no idea. I tried to play a radio station, but it said: MPD Error. Failed to Decode…couldn’t connect to server.

I also could not find a check list of what setting to set/leave. So that was a little upsetting.

Sorry, I am an idiot…. can someone help?
Guys – the radio is working….I discovered I needed a Gateway and DNS. Now the radio is working…that is all. Great....getting there.

Now I need to connect to my music files. I could not do this in RunneAudio either. ???
Any one with any suggestions
(01-19-2019, 06:18 AM)foxint Wrote: Any one with any suggestions

... so the audio playback is tested fine (via RADIO) on RPi + HAT.

Regarding playing music files from your usual storage environment just copy a few files on a USB flash stick and try playing music from the stick (obviously you need to observe the set-up of a USB SOURCE:

<<<   4. ADD SOURCE(S) CONTAINING MUSIC FILES

- USB STORAGE DEVICES

a) Inserting or removing a USB storage device automatically initiates MPD database update

b) Wait for completion (no spinner on the Music tab)

c) Browse panel. Click the refresh button to update the folder list.

d) To manually update or regenerate the MPD database follow the steps below....>>>

Where are your music files stored?
Hmm, where is your music stored ? Do you have it on a harddisk with an USB connection or a NAS or do you want to run a streaming music source (like Spotify) ? What CallMeMike mentioned is e.g. something that is connected through USB.
Guys – Thank you.

I did try and copy a flac file to a USB, but no music.

I think the location of my music is the problem. I have in “name only” a NAS. It is a collection of HDDs connected to another PC on my home network. A normal PC – not a specially built NAS.

I can see, read and write to all the files on all the HDD’s. There is NO – repeat NO password. I can access the files via windows explorer no problems. MediaMonkey (yes, I use MediaMonkey as it is the only one that works for me), can play and modify the files and meta data on all drives. I even moved the music files and MM works fine.

I have to say only the Linux programmes are having problems. If it is a Linux problem, please tell me. I gave up with RuneAudio as one of the members was a smart-bottom and told me, I was to blame because I did not understand.

I am a novice…may I say that again, if I have not said it before, I am a novice and not a computer person. I have been using RuneAudio for a year or so BUT only the radio – never got the music to play.
(01-20-2019, 04:19 AM)foxint Wrote: Guys – Thank you.

I did try and copy a flac file to a USB, but no music.

I think the location of my music is the problem. I have in “name only” a NAS. It is a collection of HDDs connected to another PC on my home network. A normal PC – not a specially built NAS.

I can see, read and write to all the files on all the HDD’s. There is NO – repeat NO password. I can access the files via windows explorer no problems. MediaMonkey (yes, I use MediaMonkey as it is the only one that works for me), can play and modify the files and meta data on all drives. I even moved the music files and MM works fine.

I have to say only the Linux programmes are having problems. If it is a Linux problem, please tell me. I gave up with RuneAudio as one of the members was a smart-bottom and told me, I was to blame because I did not understand.

I am a novice…may I say that again, if I have not said it before, I am a novice and not a computer person. I have been using RuneAudio for a year or so BUT only the radio – never got the music to play.

The fact that a music file cannot be played off an USB flash stick leads to the suspicion that:
- you have not set up the playback from a USB source properly (very likely)
- the music file format is 'unknown' to Moode player (less likely)

After copying the music file onto the USB stick have you tried to play the file on the Windows computer itself just to prove that the file is not corrupt...? If the file plays out fine then you need to follow the set-up instructions carefully as laid out on the GitHub.

As the bulk of your music files is located on a Windows computer on your home network you have to 'make' those files 'available' to other computers on your network (the Raspberry Pi is a 'computer'). Information on how to this is plentiful on the Internet, you neeed to specify the particular Windows version when you do search.

Whichever standalone music player (within any Operating System) based on a computer (i.e. Raspberry Pi) on your network you end up using it will need to be set up accordingly in order to access and play music files located on the network (NAS or ordinary computer). You need to find and understand how to do this by searching on the Internet yourself. As you admit yourself to be a computer novice (there's absolutely nothing wrong with this) there would be more productive and time-saving to do the research yourself rather than having to be taught via messaging/posting by one or more persons on a forum.

I believe that it would be much easier for the time being if you achieve the USB playback set-up. You may copy some music files (or all the music files you have) on a USB storage device (flash stick or hard disk/solid state drive) which in turn can be plugged directly onto the RPi computer. Doing this will allow you carry out the research on how to play music files on the network without any undue pressure.

I am sure that every each of us excel in more than one domain while having a challenge and having to learn new things makes it more interesting... Now from a scale from 0 to 5 which is my wise-bottom rating, please...?
CallMeMike – thank you.
Good points. I have a horrible feeling it will all go south.

I tried the USB with the flac file and MediaMonkey played it with no problem.

I searched the site for “GitHub” and got 7 or more pages. I do not know what “GitHub” means? Could not find anything. Plus, I searched for “set up instructions” and got nothing.

Could you help with the step-by-step idiot proof instructions (hopefully with pictures). This would be very handy.

As for your comments about the network – every single windows PC I have can see every file on the network. If there are other instructions because the Raspberry Pi is a Linux computer, I have no idea about that. If there are setting in Mooode that should be OK. But if I have to change code – that is far too hard for me.

Just to confirm: ALL windows PC’s can see all the files on all the PC’s in the network both wired and wireless. I have no idea what else I can do aside from put Moode on windows and the Pi is a little difficult.