Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Tidal Master on MoOde Audio
I should mention that ANY Music Service including Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music, Sound Cloud, etc can be streamed to moOde from the services native and full featured application using Bluetooth, Airplay, or Spotify Connect.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I am beginning to look into Tidal, and, while it is true that we can send via Bluetooth or Airplay, there is a huge difference with Spotify Connect. Once you have delegated playing responsibility to Spotify Connect, the phone or tablet is merely a remote control and the Pi becomes the source of the music, therefore freeing the device for any other sound / calls. On the other two options, the device is still the source and, therefore, tied to being 'near' the RPi, slaved to the music where calls and other sound generating apps will crash the experience.

So, while possible, they are really not on the same playing ground. It would be nice to have such a solution for Moode regarding some of the other services. Not saying that it is you the one that needs to make it, but closing the doors so decidedly seems like the wrong approach, IMHO.

Rafa.
Hi, Rafa.

Have you tried Tidal via upmpdcli? Granted, you need a UPnP Control Point but only to point the moOde renderer to the selected Tidal stream.

Regards,
Kent
(05-14-2019, 02:38 PM)RafaPolit Wrote: I am beginning to look into Tidal, and, while it is true that we can send via Bluetooth or Airplay, there is a huge difference with Spotify Connect.  Once you have delegated playing responsibility to Spotify Connect, the phone or tablet is merely a remote control and the Pi becomes the source of the music, therefore freeing the device for any other sound / calls.  On the other two options, the device is still the source and, therefore, tied to being 'near' the RPi, slaved to the music where calls and other sound generating apps will crash the experience.

So, while possible, they are really not on the same playing ground.  It would be nice to have such a solution for Moode regarding some of the other services.  Not saying that it is you the one that needs to make it, but closing the doors so decidedly seems like the wrong approach, IMHO.

Rafa.

Hi Rafa,

No doors are closed. I've offered many times to work with any dev that wants to do Tidal and Qobuz integration into moOde 5 series :-)

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
(05-14-2019, 02:50 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Hi, Rafa.

Have you tried Tidal via upmpdcli? Granted, you need a UPnP Control Point but only to point the moOde renderer to the selected Tidal stream.

Regards,
Kent

My own experiences with Tidal in MoOde were all good, using Bubble on my Android phone I could just switch from moOde player to moOde player & it would pick up that player's queue from where it had previously paused.  Plus I could then close Bubble down & the music would continue.
Where Spotify is convenient is you can connect from moOde player to moOde player to bluetooth and the same playlist continues & I saw no way to do that in Tidal.

As it happens I have decided to cancel Spotify & Tidal & go back to buying music, I became tired of music disappearing in playlists plus some bands I listen to only had partial catalogues on streaming services, I can buy 2 - 4 albums a month in flac from bandcamp for the same money & just unzip them to my NAS.
I'm on the iOS platform. Most info I find is outdated. I would like to see a good Bubble app on the iOS store, but what kills the experience is using a different UI than Tidal to interact with the catalog. To be able to avoid that would be fantastic.
(05-15-2019, 02:50 PM)RafaPolit Wrote: I'm on the iOS platform.  Most info I find is outdated.  I would like to see a good Bubble app on the iOS store, but what kills the experience is using a different UI than Tidal to interact with the catalog.  To be able to avoid that would be fantastic.

Yeah, I get it. The multiplicity of UIs is maddening.

I've tried Linn Kazoo and Linn Kinsky on my iPad as UPnP control points. They'e so-so.

But I'm not sure I understand what you want. Even with a Bubble app in iOS, the UI would be different. It sounds like you are asking for a "Tidal Connect" solution which would have to come from Tidal.

Regards,
Kent
Exactly what I'm asking for. But Tidal already sees some components as 'endpoints', right? Chromecasts come to mind. In the chromecast scenario, its the dongle that downloads the content, not the phone, and you interact with it through the phone. So it's kind of a 'tidal connect' of sorts. Obviously, AirPlay is similar, but then you are sending data from your phone.

So perhaps kind of a chromecast emulation is possible? Some functionality that turns the RPi into a chromecast for the purposes of discovery?

Another option is an in-phone app that generates a self-hosted chromecast-like endpoint bridging Tidal and the UPnP renderer, that way you can tell Tidal to play through the phone's 'virtual' chromecast and that virtual chromecast bubbles up to the MPD renderer in Moode.

I don't know, something that will allow us to keep inside the tidal App, but still enjoy the advantages of the remote renderer. Yes, "connect" is the perfect way to describe it.
For sure Spotify Connect architecture is really nice. You can start playback on your phone and then take calls, turn the phone off etc and the Spotify Connect server keeps on playing your music because its the server thats receiving the audio stream and playing it to the audio device.

Airplay, Bluetooth and LMS/Squeezelite are all based on the client (Phone, etc) receiving the stream and sending the stream to the server. Airplay and Squeezelite though have built in multi-room sync audio so this architecture has its advantages.
Enjoy the Music!
(05-15-2019, 02:50 PM)RafaPolit Wrote: I'm on the iOS platform.  Most info I find is outdated.  I would like to see a good Bubble app on the iOS store, but what kills the experience is using a different UI than Tidal to interact with the catalog.  To be able to avoid that would be fantastic.

Ah ok, I didn't know Bubble was Android only, shame really as it would probably do what you were looking for.  When listening to Tidal on MoOde I would just use Bubble & it would let me browse playlists, all my favourite artists etc, there was no need to open the Tidal app at all, I only used the tidal app when using BT in the car.

If you trial Tidal & you like the service it offers maybe get a cheap 2nd hand Android phone off eBay, pre-pay SIM & just use it as a controller?