Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Amazon Music as a stream ?
I think I am going to get a cheap android phone to root and use as a remote control. I can then use airaudio app to grab all phone audio to send to Moode Airplay.
(06-11-2020, 02:52 PM)Eddy2020 Wrote: I think I am going to get a cheap android phone to root and use as a remote control. I can then use airaudio app to grab all phone audio to send to Moode Airplay.

Will that downsample the Amazon music stream to 16/44.1? I'm not familiar with Apple services and devices.  Will those apps change the audio stream in any way, ie will the audio pass through the phone itself or will the phone control the stream from the server to MoOde?
Yes I think it will downsample. 

The other way Moode could support my use case is if Moode provided Chromecast compatibility. I could then cast from Android Amazon Music app. That route might be fraught with commercial issues though?
I'm sure there's no open source Chromecast API hence it's not in MoOde. Some LG phones (V20/V30) supposedly have decent DACs capable of Hi Res audio so it might be possible to get hold of one on eBay and plug it straight into your amp if you're set on using Amazon.
I'd be interested in how that sounded vs the stream passing through a less capable DAC and being downsampled and passed to MoOde via a 3rd party airplay app then passing through another DAC I assume attached to MoOde.
IIRC Amazon Music HD offers 60 million tracks in lossless 16/44.1 FLAC and "millions" more in lossless 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC all with no DRM and no requirement for anything other than the Open Source FLAC codec.

For the 60 million FLAC 16/44.1 tracks, Airplay will stream them lossless :-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-12-2020, 08:46 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: IIRC Amazon Music HD offers 60 million tracks in lossless 16/44.1 FLAC and "millions" more in lossless 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC all with no DRM and no requirement for anything other than the Open Source FLAC codec.

Is DRM relevant with a streaming service, I mean you're not buying the music just renting it whilst you subscribe?  I would never buy music with DRM, if I buy anything it's usually from Bandcamp.
For me, the quality of sound is the most important aspect. In my usage case, Tidal Hi Res beats Amazon on SQ hands down.
(06-12-2020, 08:46 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: IIRC Amazon Music HD offers 60 million tracks in lossless 16/44.1 FLAC and "millions" more in lossless 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC all with no DRM and no requirement for anything other than the Open Source FLAC codec.

Just not on an Android phone unfortunately unless you root it and use Airaudio.
Percieved SQ is highly subjective and so YMMV. Yes DRM is certainly relevant in streaming services because the annual license fees that the service provider pays for the DRM are passed on to the consumer as part of the subscription fee. You're paying for something that contributes nothing to the quality of the music. Amazon chose to do without it and stream pure FLAC.

True for Android regarding Airplay. The old platform wars have never quite ended. Widely used services like Airplay and mDNS which are available on Mac, Windows and Linux are still not available on Android :-(
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub