The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.34 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Edge Case Bug - Switching MPD settings.
Here's just an edge case bug I noticed. I use a pi4 with HDMI out and had moode/mpd configured for hardware volume control.

I recently decided to set up the alsa loopback system to add some processing in the chain.

After loading the snd-aloop module and restarting the loopback interface showed up in the mpd output choices in Moode.

So I selected Loopback and rebooted as moode requested. No sounds played after reboot. Ok, volume is at zero, turn it up. Nothing. Go to mpd config gui and see volume is now software instead of hardware. That makes sense, the loopback doesn't have a hardware volume control.

Open terminal and bring up alsa mixer. Select hdmi mixer. Its volume is also zero. Turn it up. Sound starts playing. Yay!

Adjust volume in moode. Nothing happens.

Looking at mpd.conf when I changed from HDMI to Loopback moode correctly changed output from hw1,0 (HDMI) to hw0,0 (Loopback), but it didn't catch that it needed to change to software mixer. So it left the mixer controls as hw0. Unfortunately in the mpd config gui it showed it was set to software.

If I changed the order I do things everything works ok.
Change back to hdmi. Change back to hw volume. Change to software volume. Then change to loopback. Final result is loopback with sw volume control.

So there's an edge case bug when switching from a device that has hw volume control to one that doesn't.

Just and FYI as the work around was easy enough.

P.S. The related feature request here would be let the moode gui configure different devices for volume (alsa ctl) and output (alsa pcm). But I suspect that only ever would be appropriate for loopback so I doubt it ever makes it up anyone's list.

Messages In This Thread
Edge Case Bug - Switching MPD settings. - by seashell - 09-18-2020, 01:13 AM