Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Failed to open Alsa device "hw:1,0" no such file or directory
Hi & Help Smile
MoOde 6.3, when pluged in Burson Playmate USB audio device, and start the play the MPD sent this error message: Failed to open Alsa device "hw:1,0" no such file or directory.
Before that I used "Ian Fifo II" setting with another I2S connector DAC without problems.
How can I write back the ALSA device hw:1,0 to hw:0,0?
Thank you!
D'
USB DAC's are assigned card1 (hw:1,0) by moOde. Card0 (hw:0,0) is used for I2S DAC's and the On-board Pi audio device.

The error "Failed to open Alsa device "hw:1,0" no such file or directory." suggests that Linux/ALSA has not recognized the USB DAC.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-22-2019, 12:19 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: USB DAC's are assigned card1 (hw:1,0) by moOde. Card0 (hw:0,0) is used for I2S DAC's and the On-board Pi audio device.

The error "Failed to open Alsa device "hw:1,0" no such file or directory." suggests that Linux/ALSA has not recognized the USB DAC.

MoOde 5.3 recognized before Wink
When I change back to IanFifoII, MPD gave the same error message. Sad
If you are switching between USB and I2S audio devices you need to open MPD Config and verify that the "Device type" is correct then SAVE the config.
Enjoy the Music!
(10-22-2019, 12:32 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If you are switching between USB and I2S audio devices you need to open MPD Config and verify that the "Device type" is correct then SAVE the config.

Thank you Tim!
(10-22-2019, 12:32 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If you are switching between USB and I2S audio devices you need to open MPD Config and verify that the "Device type" is correct then SAVE the config.
Is there a difference between 5.3 and 6.3 of Mood that part to handles USB audio devices?
Because the previous version (5.3) of MoOd recognizes my USB DAC device and 6.3 doesn't.
I reinstalled 6.3 and the same error message appears "Failed to open Alsa device "hw:1,0" no such file or directory."
Strange Sad
Yes, different release of Raspbian and Linux kernel. There are probably changes made by the Raspbian or kernel devs to the Linux usb-audio driver. I generally don't track those kind of things due to lack of time but you could search the link below for issues.
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues

The moOde 6 series is based on the recently released Raspbian Buster Lite which is required for supporting the new Pi-4B.

You can track which version of Raspbian is used in moOde releases by viewing the mosbuild repo
https://github.com/moode-player/mosbuild/releases

You can track which Linux kernel is used by viewing the release notes
https://github.com/moode-player/moode/bl...lnotes.txt

You also might want to run the cmd below to see if there is any indication why the USB device doesn't;t appear to be recognized.

Code:
lsusb
Enjoy the Music!
(10-22-2019, 04:12 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Yes, different release of Raspbian and Linux kernel. There are probably changes made by the Raspbian or kernel devs to the Linux usb-audio driver. I generally don't track those kind of things due to lack of time but you could search the link below for issues.
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues

The moOde 6 series is based on the recently released Raspbian Buster Lite which is required for supporting the new Pi-4B.

You can track which version of Raspbian is used in moOde releases by viewing the mosbuild repo
https://github.com/moode-player/mosbuild/releases

You can track which Linux kernel is used by viewing the release notes
https://github.com/moode-player/moode/bl...lnotes.txt

You also might want to run the cmd below to see if there is any indication why the USB device doesn't;t appear to be recognized.

Code:
lsusb
Thank you again Tim!
Until find out what the problem is, I am using the 5.31 MoOd with great satisfaction Smile
@Deenoo

Interesting problem.

I have three USB audio devices

- an old C-Media CM108 USB to headphone adapter (e.g., 3.5mm analog audio out)
- a Creative Technology W2 USB-BT audio adapter
- a Khadas Tone Board

The USB device-tree information returned for these three by lsusb -v differs in details but in every case includes an interface class "Audio"

Code:
# In each case, I found the -d vendor:device codes by running lsusb without options
pi@moode3a:~ $ sudo lsusb -v -d 041e:3125|grep Audio
  iProduct                2 Creative Bluetooth Audio W2
      bInterfaceClass         1 Audio

pi@moode4b:~ $ lsusb -v -d 0d8c:013c|grep Audio
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0d8c:013c C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM108 Audio Controller
 idProduct          0x013c CM108 Audio Controller
     bInterfaceClass         1 Audio

# the iProduct string for the Khadas, not seen here, occurs later in the output
pi@moodelr:~ $ lsusb -v -d 20b1:000a|grep Audio
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing  ### can be ignored for this test
      bFunctionClass          1 Audio
      bInterfaceClass         1 Audio

More fundamentally, each of these devices was detected by the kernel as an audio device. For example, in the case of the Khadas Tone Board

Code:
pi@moodelr:~ $ dmesg|grep usb
... skipping all the lines about other USB devices detected
[    1.591733] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd
[    1.722664] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=20b1, idProduct=000a, bcdDevice= 1.04
[    1.722708] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=3, SerialNumber=0
[    1.722741] usb 1-1.4: Product: Khadas Tone Control
[    1.722766] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: XMOS
[    5.722687] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
[    5.848004] usb 1-1.4: 1:3 : unsupported format bits 0x100000000
[    5.853859] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

If you don't see that last line then the Linux kernel isn't recognizing your Playmate. That's something for Burson to work out with the Linux developers.

Regards,
Kent
Hi Kent

I found this
[    4.036087] usb 1-1.2.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=3, SerialNumber=0
[    4.046048] usb 1-1.2.2: Product: BursonAudio USB Audio 2.0
[    4.054031] usb 1-1.2.2: Manufacturer: XMOS
[    4.121906] usb 1-1.1.1: new high-speed USB device number 8 using dwc_otg
[    4.252389] usb 1-1.1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0424, idProduct=7800, bcdDevice= 3.00
[    4.265258] usb 1-1.1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
[    6.629683] usbcore: registered new interface driver uas
[    6.806882] usb 1-1.2.2: 1:3 : unsupported format bits 0x100000000
[    6.810431] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
The error message remained "Failed to open Alsa device "hw:1,0" no such file or directory." Sad

Audio Information
Audio Device
Device: USB audio device
Chip:
Interface: USB
Formats: U8, S16_LE
Platform: Pi-3B+ 1GB v1.3