Thank you for your donation!

Instruction Guide DIY Streamer concept
Hi I am conceptualizing my streamer project and would like to find out how Moode experts would tackle my feature list.
My main purpose will be to stream Spotify which I believe wont be an issue
however what would be the best way to incorporate a color display to ideally allow switching from Album cover picture and streaming data to two audio decibel output level meters (both options displayed alternatively on the same high res. display).
Could I incorporate a visualization Add On and does anybody have a suggestion that would look elegant and allow these two themes ?
Or would it be easier/better to use the Rasperry purely to run Moode and add graphic display as a separate entity, connected to the analogue outputs with separate diver electronic (that would not allow artist info). Alternatively some DAC hats for the Pi might allow added display functionality ?
Would Moode allow hardware switches to be incorporated for e.g. Pause, Forward etc (not a must) ?
If you can find an Open Source implementation of VU Meters that can be displayed using Web protocol then it might be interesting. I think a player named Peppy Player does something like this.
(02-05-2020, 11:13 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If you can find an Open Source implementation of VU Meters that can be displayed using Web protocol then it might be interesting. I think a player named Peppy Player does something like this.

The stand-alone PeppyMeter might fit the bill:
https://github.com/project-owner/PeppyMeter
Richard.
(02-06-2020, 03:11 AM)rh2018 Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 11:13 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If you can find an Open Source implementation of VU Meters that can be displayed using Web protocol then it might be interesting. I think a player named Peppy Player does something like this.

The stand-alone PeppyMeter might fit the bill:
https://github.com/project-owner/PeppyMeter
Richard.

Hi, Richard.

I had a look at PeppyMeter. 

It's well conceived with a strong codebase and remarkable online documentation. 

I had no trouble compiling peppyalsa and bringing up PeppyMeter on a moOde player but haven't managed to render anything to a local display yet, even with just the built-in "noise" test input.

In its current form, it doesn't appear to lend itself to a webUI. Could be made to do so with some work, I suppose, but I'm unclear about just what one would want---would it be a screensaver as it was intended for PeppyPlayer, or would it be fitted into the existing moOde Playback panel, or what? (I'm just thinking out loud here.)

As well, it isn't clear to me how it would be merged with moOde's configuration scheme. The peppyalsa plugin would be essential since we'd want the meter to work with other renderers besides MPD. I'm no ALSA guru and feel at sea trying to map what is said about configuration in the online documentation into what we already have.

All in all, this project wouldn't be one of Tim's weekend wonders. Someone would have to do the heavy lifting and submit a PR. I suspect that someone isn't me.

The images in the documentation look great, though. The "vintage" meter puts me in mind of my days as the chief engineer of my college radio station, many decades ago, when vacuum tubes ruled the world.

Regards,
Kent
"The "vintage" meter puts me in mind of my days as the chief engineer of my college radio station, many decades ago, when vacuum tubes ruled the world."

Smile....you're calling Liz and Phil the Greek Tubes..?  classic !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6jvfSBZvn8

possibly 'Elaboration of a tube'  ? 47 seconds Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_nIRoTeOEg
(02-17-2020, 06:16 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: "The "vintage" meter puts me in mind of my days as the chief engineer of my college radio station, many decades ago, when vacuum tubes ruled the world."

Smile....you're calling Liz and Phil the Greek Tubes..?  classic !

Smile Smile 

... for those outside the British Isles, Down Under (Australia & New Zealand) and other areas of the Commonwealth: Liz =  Queen Elizabeth ll / Phil the Greek = Prince Philip
I was never in the presence of Liz and Phil but I kept up with their doings thanks to my trusty, if dusty, Hallicrafters SX-28 shortwave radio (vacuum tubes, of course) and those wonderful BBC newsreaders. Probably on the 25-metre band.

Like George Orwell, I believed that if I heard it on the BBC meant it must be true.

And your ability to find appropriate YouTube clips is admirable!

Regards,
Kent
I very nearly dined with them Wink

Many decades of moons ago on one of their tours to the colonies they passed through our fair city...some factory opening event and a civic luncheon with the local dignitaries and movers and shakers.

In the spirit of inclusiveness it was decided to have a student representative from each of the 4 High-schools attend.

Easy choice for the 2 single-sex schools, the Head boy/girl of each got to go.
The 2 coed schools had to flip a coin to choose whether their Head Boy or Head Girl went.

Our Head-Girl called Tails and won. and that's how I missed noshing with Liz and Phil. Smile
(02-17-2020, 05:59 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: I very nearly dined with them Wink

Many decades of moons ago on one of their  tours to the colonies they passed through our fair city...some factory opening event and a civic luncheon with the local dignitaries and movers and shakers.

In the spirit of inclusiveness it was decided to have a student representative from each of the 4 High-schools  attend.

Easy choice for the 2 single-sex schools, the Head boy/girl of each got to go.
The 2 coed schools had to flip a coin to choose whether their Head Boy or Head Girl went.

Our Head-Girl called Tails and won.   and that's how I missed noshing with Liz and Phil. Smile

Too bad. You know what the Beatles said about her Majesty (short version).
(02-17-2020, 05:59 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: I very nearly dined with them Wink

..........................  snip ........................................

Our Head-Girl called Tails and won.   and that's how I missed noshing with Liz and Phil. Smile

...so It wasn't because she (the Head-Girl) has spotless table manners... ?!   Tongue