Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: slow interface on android phone with a small collection
Thank you both for the tips.

I put the USB stick in my PC and waited to see if it heats up. It didn't. It got fairly warm, probably the usual amount for these drives based on what other people are saying but I can easily hold it.

I then took CallMeMike's idea and put some music (156 albumns, ~13GB) on another stick (an older 16GB sandisk extreme 3.0, formatted to exFAT like the original). That worked much better on my phone. The responsiveness is still a little bit slow but to the level I would expect given my phone is not so powerful. Changing between the library views works fine and if I swipe down rapidly then it takes a second to catch up but it is completely different than before, where the screen would just freeze for ~10s seconds or crash. I just felt the stick and its warm, not hot like before, though it has not been so long.

So the question now is whether the problem is due to the stick or simply having a 60% smaller library. I could try with the full library on an external hard drive to test the latter possibility.

@Kent Chrome on my phone is 80.0.03987.162. I should clarify that when I say 'crash' I mean that I get the popup that says chrome is not responding and asks me if I want to wait or close it.
The power draw concerns me. My idea was to leave the Pi plugged in all the time so I would like to keep the power draw low.

Messages In This Thread
RE: slow interface on android phone with a small collection - by s_mury - 04-13-2020, 12:23 PM