Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: Possibility to speed up large libraries?
Hi,
I don't know whether it would necessitate a large reworking of the code, which I can understand is not high on the to-do list, or whether it could be achieved more easily... But my NAS library of 70 000 tracks is painfully slow on a pretty fast smartphone, and also the paned browser does not lend itself to navigation on small screens.

I am coming from runeaudio (janui's 0.5beta tweak for rpi) and browsing the library does not load everything at once, but first genres/composers, then albums, then chosen album. Perhaps such browsing is less database intensive and thus faster? I can move between screens in no more than a second. In moodeaudio it might take 20+seconds to load the library screen and get it ready for browsing. It also works better fingertip wise on smaller screens.

Could this be an idea?
What model smartphone and Browser?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-09-2022, 10:03 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: What model smartphone and Browser?

OnePlus 3 running Android 9. Native Chrome, as well as Firefox, Firefox Focus.
Is desktop performance good?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-09-2022, 11:36 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Is desktop performance good?

Absolutely. About 2-3 seconds load time for the library screen after cleaning of browser cache.
(01-10-2022, 09:26 AM)guermantes Wrote:
(01-09-2022, 11:36 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Is desktop performance good?

Absolutely. About 2-3 seconds load time for the library screen after cleaning of browser cache.

Could it be that your wifi connection is slow?
I have a Samsung S7 (android 8) also with a large library (>40K tracks) and don't experience such slow loading times.
The way moode works is that it loads the entire tracklist as a json file into the browser, for my library that is over 18 MB.
If your wifi connection is slow, this may take a long time.
Also if your wifi connection is slow, loading the albums covers also take more time.
(01-13-2022, 08:35 AM)JeroenWalter Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 09:26 AM)guermantes Wrote:
(01-09-2022, 11:36 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Is desktop performance good?

Could it be that your wifi connection is slow?
I have a Samsung S7 (android 8) also with a large library (>40K tracks) and don't experience such slow loading times.
The way moode works is that it loads the entire tracklist as a json file into the browser, for my library that is over 18 MB.
If your wifi connection is slow, this may take a long time.
Also if your wifi connection is slow, loading the albums covers also take more time.

I am not loading covers in the library view at all.

No, the WIFI is fast. Transferring video files from my NAS to my phone over WIFI is between 10-15 MB/s (megabytes, not megabits).

I am testing now with parts of my library, adding more and more to see when it breaks. So far I am at 840 albums / 14 000 tracks and performance on the phone is very snappy and good.

I'll add more and keep the thread updated.

Is there a particular log file I should investigate?
1145 albums and 19 000 tracks... still pretty snappy.
moode.php?cmd=loadlib in developertools view reports a size of 9.79 MB but only 950 KB transferred. Not quite sure what it tells me that only a tenth of the content has been transferred?
(01-13-2022, 03:32 PM)guermantes Wrote: 1145 albums and 19 000 tracks... still pretty snappy.
moode.php?cmd=loadlib  in developertools view reports a size of 9.79 MB but only 950 KB transferred. Not quite sure what it tells me that only a tenth of the content has been transferred?

Possibly the http response was compressed?

Jup, Content-Encoding: gzip on my system.
Smile
2650 albums and 51 600 tracks... about 15 seconds delay before the library is populated. When the composer or artist list becomes scrollable (after first appearing it remains frozen for a few seconds), clicking an item will not immediately register, neither with the onclick colouring nor the updating of the album view.

moode.php?cmd=loadlib has now grown to 26 MB. And I've got 20 000 tracks to go before I have included my full library.